Why does my baby scream during bath time?

He is 5 months old. He used to be great at bath time, but now and for the past couple of months he screams during his bath. And I'm talking real tears-red face-running out of breath screaming.

He has one of those mesh things that you lay them back on, BUT when I sit him up to clean his back and hair (he can not sit on his own yet so I have to hold him) he calms down.

He sleeps on his back in his crib and doesn't normally mind being laid down. I am the only one who has ever bathed him since we left the hospital so I know he hasn't had any scary experiences.

What could be causing his fits?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 8:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Memigen

You need to relax. There is no need to be concerned with "bacteria in the water" nor about "bacteria on the clothes". I wash my baby's clothes separately at first only because they are more delicate. If you are holding your baby with your hands, kissing your baby even on the cheek, or even anywhere near your baby without a hazmat suit you are both sharing and exchanging surface bacteria all the time. Not all bacteria are even bad! You are not that dirty unless you've been rolling around in the mud, in that case you just shower first then take a bath with the baby

You won't drop your baby unless you start dancing a jig in there. Just put the shower on low. Just relax! It's not that hard. YOu don't need a lot of soap. Hold in one arm and do a wash on one side, rinse off. Flip to the other and repeat.

Immersion bathing is not necessary to keep your baby clean.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Cause he's a baby. Both my kids SCREAMED during their baths untill they were big enough to sit in one of those bath chairs.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• do you have a big enough tub to get in with him so he feels more secure?
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I had to hold my DD and take a shower with her up to almost a year old when she could sit up on her own.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son is almost 3 and screams, cries, and fights to get out of the tub when I wash his hair. He loves to go swimming, and will dump water over his head on his own. It could just be for attention.

Make sure your water is warm or cool enough. That might cause discomfort. But I'd go with Bradenismyson. on this one. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Our younger daughter hated baths for the first 6-9 months of her life. She loves water now, but you never would have guessed it by the way she carried on when she was younger. It was just something she had to outgrow.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have a petite peanut baby girl. I've never dropped her and my middle name is definitely NOT "graceful". I use my hips and the baby helps. And a baby who is afraid of being immersed will usually feel safer when held in arms. It is also in how you approach it. If I turn the shower on first and then step in all is well. If we are in the shower first and I turn it on it startled her (heck, if I didn't know where the water was coming from I'd be startled too!)

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• He is older and smarter and has developed a fear of the water and is expressing it by crying. My son screamed like I was killing him when I rinsed his hair. He was around one and I started just pouring the cupful of water over his head. He learned to hold his breath and get over it. I wouldn't do it with your because he is so young. He will gt over it eventually. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It's not just washing his hair though... it's on the way down to the tub, in the tub, warm water, washing hands... arms... legs.... he screams, SCReams SCREAMS :(

I try to rush through the bath for him and on the way to putting him i the tub I hold him close so he doesn't feel like he is just being dropped in the tub or something.

He makes me feel so bad for him. :(
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't bathe with my children because I feel like that is subjecting them to extra bacteria or anything I may be carrying on or in my body which may get into the water with them. I also don't wash my clothes with theirs for the same reason. So I do not feel comfortable taking a bth with him. And as far as a shower goes if he freaks out the way he does over a bath I can only imagine that a shower would make it worse and I'm scared I may drop him as he is still so small. I don't see how I could wash him in a shower?
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2010