Agree or Disagree???

Should kid be placed in classes based on equal number of race/gender or by their academic level???

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 8:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in

• Oh. I get what you're saying now. I answered before your reply came up. I still say academics. I'm more concerned with her learning than making a pretty picture with the kids. If it's too advanced she'll fall farther behind. If it's not advanced enough she'll be bored.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Academic Level. Race or gender has no bearing for me.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Academic. I'd rather my daughter be pushed hard to learn in a class that's right for her than just stuck with other kids just because they're white girls. Race and gender have nothing to do with academics.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think academics, simply b/c race and gender doesnt have a separation line of minority/majority. Just as many blacks and mexicans would be in the same advanced/slower class as whites or asians

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Academic Level. I would pull my child from a school that based anything on race!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 9:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• academics and behavioral issues should be considered. (Speaking as a parent of a Special Needs kid).

some places like where my kid goes is predominately black, so trying to even that out with other color groups would be a pain as the school is easily 80% African Americans (no problem with that, at all, it would just be hard to make a class 50/50 based on the population there).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• well, statistically that just isn't true sugahmamma... not because of intelligence levels.... think about how many hispanic students are english language learners (I taught in TX and in CA and the numbers are astronomical!) Its not that they aren't smart enough to be in advanced classes, but many of them don't understand English well enough to keep up with their peers.
    And please, don't turn this into a political discussion, I'm simply stating the facts.
    How would they manage to have diverse classes in places like... oh... Montana or Idaho where there just isn't that diverse of a population?
    To me setting up classrooms based on race and gender make these more of an issue not less.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Academics - race and gender should play no role in schools, after all the goal is education, not socialization. I do agree with the fact that ELL students do need their own classes, but to me that comes down to communication (or lack thereof) not race. I don't care what race you are, if you can't understand the teacher you aren't learning from that class. We have one elementary where the majority of ELL students are placed (and I think all of them this year) because that facility has the staff to work with those students. I have heard complaints that it is "racist" to place all of the ELL students in one school - I think just the opposite, it would be racist to not place them where they can learn to their fullest potential.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Academics. Kids shouldn't be looked at by the color of their skin! I'm teaching my child to not even notice skin color. That it doesn't matter!
    KelliW29

Answer by KelliW29 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Academics, which is how our local school system does it - and we're catching A LOT of flack about it. Raleigh, NC (Wake County) has been on CNN lately over our school system not busing kids any more. As far as gender - last year my son was in an all AG class and there were only 3 boys in there. I talked to his teacher because I was concerned about him not having more boys to play with - they went to recess, lunch, and specials (music, art, spanish, etc) with other classes so he was around other kids.

Answer by missanc at 10:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2010