When do your kids play after school/do homework?

I'm trying to figure when to let my first grader be able to play with her friends after school outside. This year she is going to have homework...kids are out from the time they get home from school until dark - when do they even eat???

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 8:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• as Special Needs, I don't force the HW issue. We don't believe in HW after a full day of work already. So he does his best he can after he gets home. Then he takes a shower and has the rest of the evening to do whatever.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My dd does homework as soon as she gets home from school & I prepare a snack for her to eat while she does her work.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 8:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• They get 20 minutes of relaxation time and a snack if they desire when they get home from school. Then we do homework. It's great to get it out of the way so they can have the remainder of the day to play.
    My kids aren't allowed to play outside alone so preparing and feeding dinner by 6pm is not an issue. Hopefully your little one is within sight at all times so it should be easy to call her in for dinner.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• She eats a snack while doing work. Then the day is hers. She's only in kindergarten so it's not real homework. It's stuff I have her to do work on what she needs help with.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• When they get home from school, they have to do homework and have a snack before they do anything else. If they want to go play with their friends, I tell them what time dinner will be ready and they have to be home by then. They usually get 1-2 hours to play outside in the evenings.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• When mine get home from school, they usually have a snack and then do homework. Then they go out and play until suppertime (around 6) and then sometimes they'll eat quickly and run right back out until 7:30 (when it's time for showers/baths)

Answer by missanc at 9:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• my daughter gets home at 4 and i get home at 5, (grammas there). she can either play or do chores, usually she does a little of both, we live on a farm. when i get home she helps me around the house and then plays. she does homework after dinner. this works extremely well for us.
    audreyannasmom

Answer by audreyannasmom at 9:11 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We used to let the kids play after school to use up their energy. Dinner was always at the same time every night and homework afterwards. That's what worked for us.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We do homework as soon as we get home - just to get it out of the way so we can enjoy the rest of the evening without it lingering over us. It usually takes about 15 minutes for my 3rd grader and maybe 30 minutes for my 6th grader. My high school kids have their own schedule.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 9:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I eiher make my kindergarten do his homework as soon as he gets home or a hour later. I then let him play outside or watch a show on tv.

My high schooler does her homework when she wants and as long as her grades stay up I dont have a problem. If they slip then it will be as soon as she gets home
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 1:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010