Why do my nails do this?

They tend to get doubled at the tip then I tear it off and I am left with my nail thin. I don't no why they do this and it is mainly on just on my thumb nail. Just one. Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Mine do that sometimes, too, and I have asked several people who should know the cause, and nobody has ever been able to tell me the reason why they split like that. I have noticed that mine are worse when I wear nail polish for long periods of time, so I try to give my nails a break from the polish. Also, I think diet may play a part as well as how much my hands are in water. There is a nail hardener that I have bought that seems to help some. I think it's made by Sally Hanson.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I knoe my right thumb nail grows thicker because I accidentally slammed it in the dorr of an old El Camino. It hurt and bled so bad! But it looks totally normal, just thicker.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 8:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have GREAT news for you! But, first of all, don' t ever TEAR your nails! Instead, CUT THEM off! Tearing weakens the nail and causes hang nails. I've shared on the Stir Group the greatest nail product I've ever found, and I am now 68. It's called, Hard as Hoof, a delightully white, light cream that smells wonderful. You can massage it into your nails even over nail polish and it works wonders in strengthening, growing beautiul nails. Most of my life I had very thin, llned nails that tore very easity. Never could get them to grow. A nail tech told me of this product 5 yrs. ago, and I've used it consistantly ever since. It's a great product that does exactly as it says it's supposed to. You buy it at Wal-Mart in the nail section for $4.95. I used it twice daily to begin with, then switched to once a day because I didn't need it that much anymore. I want to ask you, too, do you take calcium and vitamin D?
    Smiles4U430

Answer by Smiles4U430 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• try taking plain gelatin mixing it up in some juice and drinking that a few times a week. it will help to make your nails much stronger
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Hard as Nails works.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• you need to eat more gelatin.
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 3:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• mine do that to...i dont know how to help it..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2010