How long does it take for your milk to dry up?

Please no critics, I'm getting enough at home. Trying to ween my two and a half year old (I was turning into a human binkie) - naps and bedtime were just so easy, which is why it went this long. Last week we got it down to just at night time - it was just a couple quick slurps and she was out - then she'd wake again at 2:00, like she has since birth. No bother, I work from home. Yesterday we must have gone a full 24 hours and she went to bed on her own (no nap, but still pleasant all day). She woke at her 2:00 time and I tried to comfort her, still with the boob, because that's just what we're used to at 2:00 in the morning. It seemed she was sadly frustrated and we ended up snuggling back to sleep. Is it all done? She woke pleasantly enough this morning and didn't try and chase me down...

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 8:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like she is self weaning. For me, it was a few days of discomfort, but several months for it to truly and completely dry up. I'm not sure what the norm is, though.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I really wouldn't know. I remember that my dd was drinking from sippy cups as soon as she could walk. So everything ended at that point. As for drying up I really don't remember how long that took. It's been 12 years.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 9:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I doubt your milk dried up that quickly, but I suppose it is possible.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• don't pump if you're weaning and it will dry up quick I breastfed all 3 of mine that's what I did. My last one was hard to wean but he was only taking it at night and when he was weaned he was 14 months. I dried up within a week. Don't let the warm water from your shower hit your chest either it will cause your milk to come out.
    coryswife8183

Answer by coryswife8183 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2010