Traveling in a camper?

Trying to find out if it is really as cost effective as they present it to be for next years vacation. We would like to rent a camper and travel from Springfield, VA to Trinity, NC then to Bryson City, NC (mountain roads) and back to Springfield, VA. The idea is to tow it with our Nissan Titan and have a motorcycle in the bed of the truck. We are a family of four and don't mind close quarters. Security is an issue, so I don't like the idea of a pop-up trailer...there was an in between one that I looked at that was a cross between the soft and hard. We would like something that we could separate from the truck so that we could do some sightseeing. Anyone have any experience with this?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 9:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Travel

• I have never rented one but I live in a travel trailer, it is lots more fun than moteling it since you don't have to pack and unpack all of the time. But that is just my 2 cents on it. And it sounds like what you want is a bumper pull model.
    MilkingMomma

Answer by MilkingMomma at 9:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• The last "bargain" hotel we stayed at up in the mountains was pretty shady. They people were SUPER NICE. But there was some nastiness going on. Thought also we could check out different camp sites, too. The one I looked at had a nice kitchen - so that would save on eating out...
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 9:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We actually bought a camper/truck on Craigslist at a great deal. It has saved A LOT on lodging/food. So if you are looking for the next few years, buy one, rather than rent.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We have a tent trailer. It has a door that locks and I feel safe in it. That is neither here not there though. I find it cost effective to travel and camp. We wind up saving hundreds and hundreds of dollars when we are traveling long distances. One of the big things is finding out your towing capacity and then finding a trailer well under so you do not ruin your transmission. We have a refridgerator for cooking and a stove and grill so we save a ton of money cooking and eating at camp rather than eating out. The gas that is requires is minimal but will be more the heavier the trailer that you are towing. I would definitely go for it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010