What do you think about this trend?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38944166/?gt1=43001

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 9:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My daughter just has her second. Up to a week before, she was told she would have to have a second c section. Her last Doctor that delivered told her that the only reason most doctors push for a second c section is because once the woman goes into active labor, the doctor has to stay with her the entire time. The risk in either is the 1% range. She ended up having to have a second c section as the baby was showing distress. When they opened her up they found the cord wrapped around his neck twice. Also the Doctor before had caught a tiny part of her bowel in the fatty tissue of her abdomen and left her with massive scar tissue. He fixed all this. He is has told her that she is set to go for VBAC with the next one. With my last birth my doctor wanted to break my water to "move things along" I sat up and said don't you dare I'll rip from here there. Once my water breaks three contractions and the baby is born. cont.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think it;s scary as h*ll I think c-section should be emergency only not just cause I think if baby is in distress or can't fit fine if not something like that leave it alone !
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 9:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Do you think that its b/c Dr's can lower their chances of mistakes or problems during birth....so therefore limiting their OWN personal risks?

I gave birth vaginally twice....and plan to again!!! I would only go for C-section if my baby was going to be hurt or in distress....never for my own comfort or my Dr's comfort!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:17 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I had three normal births but I am also extremely afraid of any kind of surgery. I believe in letting my body stay exactly as it was when I was born.LOL. I still haven't had any kind of surgery and I am 68. But I am also LUCKY.
    I think that a woman who decides she wants a C-section to "remain tight" is a complete nutcase. Or ,as one of my old acquaintences said,she thought birth would be a messy horrible experience and wanted to be "put out" during the birth,didn't want to know about any of it. SHe was also a total nutcase.

BUT if the baby's safety is at risk, then a C-section is appropriate.And we don't need to criticize a Mom who had a C-section.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• scary indeed! I wasnt dilating right so my dr. gave me petocin, I accepted an epidural many hours into labor (I was doing so well, I look back now and I wish I didnt). the combination lowered my sons heart rate and I wasnt dilating so they did an emergency c section. I was overdue so they didnt bother sending me home. Since vbacs arent allowed at least in my town, my next baby will have to be a scheduled c section. I hate that.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• cont. Don't mess with woman who has done this four other times. 15 min. later fully dilated water broke three contractions baby born out with the water. She was jumping around saying I've never seen a more text book birth. Ya think? She was only pushing to induce because she had other plans and didn't want to stick around. So sorry you were late for your party. Anyway what all this comes down to is we are burden if we don't deliver in the time frame of the Doctor. They don't have the patience to wait so they use modern medicine to "move things along" Sorry, but it's better for Mother and child to let things take it's natural course. It has taken nine months for the baby to grow, the baby will come in it's own time. Unless as with my Daughter there extenuating circumstances. Then use all the modern medicine you need but until you need it.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Gertie, and all~ things are changing, not like they used to be. Maybe you weren't so "lucky." To have been birthing in a time(/place) when Natural Birth was more popular might make things easier! ;-)

Since the rate has been constantly increasing, maybe it's more than a Trend, but an Epidemic.

"The U.S. cesarean rate is at a record high of 31.8%; in 1970 it was 5.5%."

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't know if it's a trend, but I had a friend say she had her c-section to remain tigh!
    I thought that was actually true but according to the reports within the article an area has to dialate anyways, even if it is just 6 cemtimeters.
    But I think appears to be dangerous, but still the parents choice.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 9:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• unfortunately its not always the parent's choice. I know that a big problem is impatient doctors or hospitals that only have so many LDR rooms and are trying to rush people through. I can't tell you how many moms I had to console when I worked at Madigan in Ft. Lewis because they so wanted to have a natural birth and basically got forced to have a C-section because their labor was taking "too long"..
    elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010