Dog lovers / Dog owners / Dog experts

Are female dogs more protective of the alpha male in the family or the alpha female?

Are male dogs more protective of the alpha make in the family or the alpha female?

Is either gender more protective in general?

Is either gender more protective of children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pets

• I'm not expert but in my experience it differs breed to breed I had great danes a male that was more protective of me and the kids but still protected my dh to an exstent he would risk his life for me and kids but just defend my dh till it got to se4rious lol i have a female mutt that protects us all w/ her life and a fact is doberman females are more protective than males altogether lol it all depends on the dog I think IMO
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My dogs are protective over my Hubby, dd and I- the same. I am the feeder in our family according to the dogs little minds. So they follow me all over. They are both males though.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 9:19 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Our 3 yo lab (male) is protective of the house in general. If someone drives up our long driveway, he barks to alert us.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• All dogs are different. It is not so much the sex of the dogs but the characteristics. I have had both female and male dogs for years. It varies. Certain breeds of dogs tend to have more protective characteristics but all of them have unique personalitites just like people. I am curious what you are trying to figure out. :-) What is going on? Hugs !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• it certainly depends on the breed, and also the training. i have a boxer who are known to be good pack dogs and family oriented. some dogs don't have these characteristics. my husband is the alpha male in the family. my dog listens to us both, but my husband has the control. as we have been told by K-9 handlers, as silly as it sounds, overbearing your dog and kinda mounting them shows them who is boss. because the alpha male dog will do this to other dogs to show dominance. it's about having control. looking up different breeds of dogs will help you understand their personality traits and need for dominance and their ability to be good protectors of the family. but also, as i said it comes down to proper training as well.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Im not an expert, but I have dogs. I rather have a male dog then a female dog, In most of my females, they have been more aggressive then my males. (Not biting but you know what I mean...) All my dogs though have been wonderful watch dogs. my black lab herc, is my dog through & through he'll follow me around the house, it doesn't matter if hes laying down cuddling with us on the bed if I get up, so does he. Hes very over proctive of the house. We have to lock him in the bathroom until our company settles so he knows that they are allowed. (hes never bitten anyone, he just scares that crap out of people because hes a barker....))

If you looking for a dog, you need to study different breeds & find the one that most suits your family & your family needs.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• there are distinctively protector dogs, thats why people get them for their junk yards, dobermans, rotties, pitts, german shepards.....of all these breeds I just mentioned I have known and come to love them all....I've had mutts my whole life....both sexes, but our females have always been our protectors....our males have been either crazy or squirrel-ly what I mean is that one male I had chewed wires as a puppy and got electrocuted....a couple times....his owner was going to put him down so we took him. The other male we had started biting my oldest who was 2 at the time.....out of the blue....so we had to get rid of him...he went to someone who had grown children, but something about little ones were bothersome to him.....if you are thinking about rescuing a dog TAKE your kids with you and make sure they all get along....good luck in whatever you choose to do
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Not sure about what you are asking. My female lab used to hate other females when they came over and now she doesn't care for men completely covered from head to toe with hat and everything especially dark colors. My male lab seems to be more protective of our home when my SO is not here. (That might be what you are looking for.) He is the only one I really have noticed this with. My female dog is just protective period and he is more selective as to when he get really protective.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My male boxer/pit bull mix is very protective of my daughter and me; when I was pregnant, he wouldn't let anyone he didn't know come near me. Now when we go on walks, he is right next to my daughter's stroller, and will stand between us and any strangers. He's not a barker, if someone knocks at our door he gets up and sits right in front of the door until we tell him to go lay down.
    But really I think it all comes down to the breed and training.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My male dog is more protective of me. My female is more protective of my daughter. She sleeps under her bed at night.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010