Underground fence for dogs

Have any of you tried the fence that you put up high and it creates a circle the dogs can go in? I am moving to the country and I wont have a fenced yard anymore. I was considering an underground fence then someone told me about these. I have 2 small dogs an 1 large dog. Any info would be appreciated.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pets

• do you mean electric fences? i have friends who use them, and the dogs are so well trained now that they don't even need to put the collar on the dog. they know their boundaries.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:24 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My neighbor has one and to be honest with you i believe its alittle cruel . the collar shocks the dog when they cross the fencing under ground. Do you really think your ging to need one if your moving to the country? If you haev enough land/yard for the dogs to run , and if they listen to you call they should be fine .
    booboo32

Answer by booboo32 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have a shih tzu that would run all over the place out there. Yes I need to contain the dogs somehow.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• When you live in the country, its not just about keeping your dogs in. Its also about keeping other animals out. I'd go with the happy medium and have a smaller kennel set up (just dog houses with a fence around it, about the size of a medium sized room in a house) and then when its daylight you can let them out and let them have free reign (again, only if they are the kind who will come back, lol).
    As for electric fences, it works for some but not all. We had one and when the dog was walking beyond the boundary the collar would shock him and he'd stop...but if he was running (i.e. chasing something like dogs always do in the country) he would just bound right through it and be gone.

To Booboo: they may seem cruel at first thought, but they are actually one of the safer routes to go as far as animal control goes. Fences are the best obviously. The third option is a leash, but you're apt to a whole host of problems there.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We will have a kennel for at night but I want them to be able to run during the day. If my little dogs get out of the fence now the run FAR!! Im just trying to keep them safe.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'd say try the fence then. Hopefully it works for you.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• this is true you also want to keep other animals out...esp if you are moving to the country and you have a little dog you have to worry about coyotes and stuff like that, they are in almost every state and they suck.....The other option is having a dog run.......its a long high fence some are even enclosed completely, with a gate to get in and wide enough for them to run back and forth in and be safe in. My Ex's neighbor has one in a suburban town bc their back yard is COMPLETELY landscaped with a rock garden and basketball court and the whole nine yards but they created the dog run right outside their side door for their husky and she loves it.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 1:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I live in the country and I do not use any fencing at all. I have taught my dogs their boundaries and they do pretty good. From what I understand though the under ground fence works fairly well. You may need to be careful with the settings though if you have small dogs and large dogs. Good luck with your move.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have an underground fence, and it's NOT really being CRUEL, it's being SAFE. We're in the country but we still have a roads, & some of the traffic is very fast in and out of the development. You can adjust the rate on the collars, from 1-10, depending on the dog and how well it responds to it & training. Our dog took 2 hits and has never been abv a 3. She means too much to us to worry about the young kids running in & out to be killed. We also put a chip in her for safety reasons. We have an acre of land & we can always put her out day & night, and know where she is and that she is always safe, it is a very safe secure fence to use.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010