how can i stop my 2 yr olds constant screaming

This boy is a terror. All day long he screams. He is currently potty training and wants to be as independent as his 4 yr old sister but rather than ask for help when he cannot do something on his own (he does not allow any adult help- otherwise he will turn into a screaming, hitting, kicking disaster) he gets very angry-even if he's only attempted it once with failure, he has no patience what-so-ever. I have dealt with "terrible twos" and a child learning to do things on their own & dealt with a child learning how to handle their anger & frustration (I DO have a 4 yr old) however, my son does not seem to exhibit the "typical" toddler tantrums. He is that kid on the playground who chases off other children and mothers- that just happened yesterday. My daughter has been socialized better than my son, since I was working when my daughter was his age, so I already know my son needs socialization. Please help!

april91b

Asked by april91b at 9:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids in the same family have different personalities. Since you worked with your first child you were a part-time parent. You have a more intense child this time and are doing it full time and that makes things very different. Day care centers usually provide negative socialization. Being arounds groups of kids doesn't provide positive socialization and children tend to learn the bad habits and behaviors of other children. If your child was cared for in a home day day care by an effective care provider with good kids then it may have been a neutral or good experience.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Does he take a nap during the day? If not, I think that this is why he may be acting like this. My Son is 3 1/2 and is like a rocket all day and if he doesn't take a nap he is miserable. He gets frustrated, irritable, cries and refuses everything. So he rarely goes without a nap. When he naps he is a different person altogether. A well behaved and calm little guy. It may just be because boys are more active than girls that is why he's different from your daughter and needs more sleep to charge his little battery up. Eliminate sweets and juice other than apple (anything dyed pink or purple may have red dye that causes irritability in mostly boys). My Son drank Juicy Juice punch flavor for just two days and became crazy wild from it. His daily routine should include a nap and quiet time.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2010