According to the bible, am i not allowed to get a tattoo?

It says to not mark our bodies..... But I want a classy tattoo for our daughter that passed away. What do you think?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• its worth the risk, its your body
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• The only verses that I've ever seen in the Bible saying not to get tattoos were referring to a special sect called "Nazarites" (Sampson was one)... they were specially dedicated to God for his work and had other rules like they couldn't cut their hair and they couldn't touch anything that was "unclean" or un-Kosher (Sampson broke all the rules of course and that was part of his issues).
    Anyway, I used that same argument with my dad when my brother wanted a tattoo- if he can't get a tattoo then he might as well stop cutting his hair too... and my dad gave in haha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Worth the risk? LMAO. Ok, I'm not entirely sure about the whole tattoo thing, but you can go to blueletterbible.com and you can look it up. As for Zoeyis though...."worth the risk"? If it is against the bible and she is a "saved christian" now, and she goes and gets a tattoo, that would mean she'd be a sinner who would have to ask forgiveness again or be denied access to heaven...I'm just baffled you would post that on a religious debate question! Against the bible=sin=hell.....really worth the risk to you zoeyis?
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't think there's anything wrong with tattoos. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Why are you asking? This is a personal belief issue. No one can tell you whether its right or wrong, only you can decide that.
    jenanddakidtoo

Answer by jenanddakidtoo at 9:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Um... I want to know exactly what the bible says, I want to follow that....
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• The Bible does not have a definitive answer for it. You could site the scripture but it is really left up to us for interpretation. Some would say that it refers to any type of marking of the bodies or piercings or anything to the affect but it is really up to you to decide. Or if you have a particular religion that you follow whole heartedly then you could follow their interpretation but this is a call that you are going to have to make on your own.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• in the Old Testament, God said: Lev 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Even though believers today are not under parts of the Old Testament law, the fact that there was a command against tattoos should raise some questions. In relation to tattoos and body piercings, a good test is to determine whether we can honestly, in good conscience, ask God to bless and use that particular activity for His own good purposes. 1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. We need to remember that our bodies, as well as our souls, have been redeemed and belong to God. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 9:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• This whole book Leviticus is warning against participating in the Canaanites religious ceremonies. The Canaanites used Tattoos and cuttings as a form of worship. If you get a tattoo in this context then yes it's wrong. As with other warnings in this book of the Bible. You need to take the whole thing into context not pick out specific verses and say this is the absolute truth when in fact that is.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Don't forget that Leviticus is in the OT. Isn't the NT supposed to be the period of Grace where the old laws were rendered meaningless? As to what the bible say, no where does it mention tattoos in the orginal language.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2010