Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

question about divorce and custody

If you get divorced and get joint custody are you allowed to move out of state with the kids?

Answer Question

Asked by momof2girls757 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Relationships

Level 9 (283 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • normally not without permission of the other parent

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • You can be stuck in that state until the child is 18 or 21 even if the father hasn't ever met the child. It happened to us.


    Answer by Gailll at 9:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • Regardless of what your custody is, you are generally not allowed to move out of the state without consent of the other parent or approval through the courts.

    Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • unless you get the other parent to agree you are usually stuck.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • Depends on your divorce decree. I have unlimited geographical location, meaning I can move anywhere in the U.S. without his permission.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • I'm not 100% sure. I guess it may depend on your state and their laws and the terms of your divorce. My sister-in-law and her husband want to move out of the state with her step son. She said legally she only has to have permission of the court.

    Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • Legally I think you need to check with a lawyer but why would you want to take the kids from their dad? It's not fair to them.

    Answer by bjane01 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • I have joint custody and I cannot move out of state. Recently, my son moved in with his dad, and now the shoe will be on the other foot. You can get approval through the courts, if you need to move.

    Answer by A.Perry at 10:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • @bjane01
    My husband is a verbally abusive alcoholic i would agree on visitation so i would not be taking them away i just want to be happy again and i know if i was happy our daughter would be to

    Comment by momof2girls757 (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • Depends on your state's laws and what your divorce decree says.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 1:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.