Good move by Deere?

Deere Abandons wind energy business..
MOLINE, Ill. (AP) — Deere & Co. will sell its wind energy business to a subsidiary of Exelon Corp. for $900 million, the company said Tuesday, potentially signaling an active merger and acquisition period ahead for the power industry.

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 9:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• On Tuesday, Deere said the deal will allow it to get back to what it does best, which is manufacturing farm equipment.

I think it's smart of them to focus on what they do best.  It will keep people employed and hopefully keep the business viable.

But the wind business is new to Exelon as well. Exelon is a giant in the nuclear power business.

This is what should be concerning to those that are pro-wind energy.  Isn't that like a steak house buying all of the vegetarian eateries in town?  If I were very pro-wind I this would be what struck me most about that article.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It is a shame but it is probably all that they could do. I think that they are having a hard time with the wind business seeing as energy is mostly going in other directions.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I heard something about this on the radio. Really, it's just another sign companies are doing what they can to continue to stay in business while making a profit. Wind energy is too expensive and it's not going to come down anytime soon. They have to cut something and if a part of their business isn't worth the cost, it's going to be cut. I'm glad they cut that instead of just cutting more jobs.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• tnmomofive

Comment by tnmomofive (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010