Do toddlers actually learn anything from watching shows like Dora?

My son absoulutely loves shows like Dora the Explorer and Handy Manny...i was just wondering if they actually learn anything from them?

He only watches TV at most an hour a day, so no bashing please..

BradensMom1026

Asked by BradensMom1026 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter doesn't get to watch a lot of TV but I do think she is learning colors, shapes and even a little bit of Spanish from watching Dora!
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have to say yes my children have learned how to count and point and say a color. My little ones watch Mikey mouse club house and some show on Nick Jr. They have helped them out.
    coryswife8183

Answer by coryswife8183 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Sure, my son has. He's learned to count, colors, etc. I even hear him say a Spanish word now and then.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes..Counting,shapes,names for animals,letters and some words.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:11 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son has learned to count in spanish and chinesse from them. He alo has learned his colors and alot about most animals that r on deago. So I would say they r good learning shows.
    luvmyjob3

Answer by luvmyjob3 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes. Like anything they witness they learn from it. The words you say, the way you clean, how you treat other people, etc. They learn from all those experiences and the TV isn't any different. My son for example (2yrs on the 23rd) watches "Super Why" and though I've been working with him verbally on his alphabet since he was born, he learned to recognize the letters from the show. Also how to sound each letter out and I'm sure how to spell some words, because they teach all of that on the show. It's important for them to have visual aids like TV to learn things that you're trying to teach them. Not only does it entertain them, but it allows them a different view of the lesson. Watching TV isn't a bad thing for a child of any age, it's excessive amounts of TV that's bad for them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My DD must be learning something from those shows because she sure isn't learning it from me. She won't give me the time of day when it comes to teaching her colors, numbers and letters. Out of nowhere the other day I asked her to draw a circle and she drew one! And I haven't taught her that. So obviously she's learning from those shows. She only watches TV for about an hour or so a day... unless she's sick and then she gets to watch it longer because then she's just laying around.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My daughter watches very little TV. She's just not interested. The exception is Sesame Street - she loves Elmo. One day she learned the letter H, and she still recognizes it and says it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I like to let my son watch Diego. My son responsed to the music very well, he always dances in his chair lol. I like that He can listen to some Spanish also.
    npetite

Answer by npetite at 2:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• absolutely! my DD can count in spanish, says about 25 other spanish words & helps reinforce her other skills/knowledge (colors, shapes, etc)
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 3:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2010