muslim question only

what is the ruling on taking birth control if you are married. me and my husband have decided we don't want no more children we are ok with the number we have and i sign up to get my tubes tide so according to the quran and sunnah is it permissable tp have this done

momwa6

Asked by momwa6 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I am not Muslim so I can't answer that part of it. However, I know of many, many women including myself who were absolutely certain that they were done having babies and had their tubes tied. Time passes and they end up regretting having their tubes tied and want to have another baby. Please, if I can, I would highly recommend researching other forms of birth control that are not so permanent. There's the IUD and the Ovaring ( I think this is what it's called). If birth control is permissable in your religion, please check into these before deciding on having a tubal ligation. There are groups on CafeMom where women discuss this. Just type "tubal ligation" or "tubal reversal" into the search bar. Also read the message boards on www.tubal-reversal.net. Blessings to you.
    Anonymous

• I'm not Muslim but I figured I would answer anyway...

It is permissible for medical reasons to postpone pregnancy for some time. But it is forbidden to stop the natural process of fertilization of either man or woman, unless there is an urgent need to do so. Preventing the reproductive organs from performing their natural function contradicts the Divine Wisdom behind creating both sexes.

It is however okay to temporarily postpone pregnancy (ie birth control.)

This is supported by the Prophet’s prohibition of castration. Al-Bukhari narrates, on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that he sought the Prophet’s permission to undergo castration, for he could not afford to get married. Thus, he wanted to protect himself from committing fornication.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 8:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Im Muslim, think about it like this, if you cannot provide and feed this child how would you feel? How do you think God will feel? I think that it would be better to have the procedure done then  having children that will make expenses more and will make things hard for you and the child itself! I dunno, you are entitled to do as you wish, but I think it would be a good decision if u decide to do it. I cannot think of anything off the top of my head that would give you proof in the Quran or anything like that..maybe someone will find something...but really think about it and pray about it :) This is just my logic behind the subject...Would you possibly think about getting an IUD? I have one and its worked for me...Let me know if u want more info on it...Good Luck!

MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• assalamu alaikum sister. any permanent measure of birth control is not allowed in Islam. you can space them out, or organize , or use methods that are not extreme unless there is a medical reason . If pregnancy is dangerous to your health, then you can take drastic measures, like having your tubes tied, or vasectomy...etc. but unless there is a medical emergency or valid medical reason, then it is not allowed. as to the reason of fearing not to be able to feed them. THAT is haram. there is an explicit verse in the Quran about it, for Allah is the provider.

proud2bmom3

Answer by proud2bmom3 at 3:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• here is a post about it with a fatwa from our group , sister, please if you have questions about details in Islam. try to come and post them at the Muslim moms group. not many Muslim sisters brows the question answer sections. you would have better chances at getting answers with proof over there. you are in my dua'

Love and salaam

proud2bmom3

Answer by proud2bmom3 at 3:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Please do not follow the advice of muslims who do not know Quran or sunnah. they will misguide you based on pure lack of proper islamic knowledge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Answered at 4:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 by: Anonymous
    Please do not follow the advice of muslims who do not know Quran or sunnah. they will misguide you based on pure lack of proper islamic knowledge

Whomever wrote this is a complete idiot...at least there are people out there that are trying to help people..with logic and not stupidity! GET A LIFE!! I dont see anything that was said by anyone that is misguiding! Only for the benefit of her and her life. If you feel having 100 children is great then do it....not everyone wants to mess up their lives or the lives of the children!
    Anonymous

• Some people make me laugh...I'm sorry that YOU feel that I am not experienced enough to answer a freaking question.If you noticed I did put in the answer this is MY LOGIC. I was born and raised a Muslim in a Mosque, so if you feel that I don't have any experience your in the wrong. I don't do everything based upon written scripture,but sometimes I use the brain that GOD has given me to make my decisions. If you don't like it then that is fine, that doesn't mean that you Anonymously talk down on people! God knows all, so keep hiding behind that ANON button supposed sister in Islam.

BTW-My job is to never misguide anyone. I love people too much to do that to them.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• this is exactly what I hate about the questions section. because people can hide behind anonymous to be rude and cruel. if you think you have something worth typing. be woman enough to stand behind it .

sister, no one can tell you what to follow , or whose advice to take. all we can do is offer that advice to the best of our abilities and you have to use your own God given judgment to pick the right thing insha' Allah, I would listen to sister MaiasMommy619 about the IUD option. I have not used it myself. but a friend of mine does and she loves it. please explore your options before making a decision. .............

proud2bmom3

Answer by proud2bmom3 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2008