What's the best form of discipline?

My 4 year old Step Son lies about anything and everything. It could be something miniscule or something very serious, and makes these elaborate stories. How can I, my husband and his mother stop the lying? No matter how many time outs he gets he just keeps it going! He fully understands the difference between a lie and the truth since I always ask him to tell me why he was put in time out before he comes out. PLZ HELP!

MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Asked by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 7:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • If he is saying his mom then you might need to have a talk with her. I agree with the just ignoring it thing. Maybe even stop putting him in time out and just saying that you didn't appriciate that he lied to you and leave it at that. If he isn't getting any kind of attention from it, he will stop doing it.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• well it is very serious..because if they get away with lies now they will grow up lying to every 1...if time out doesnt work what my co-worker does with her son is she ask 2 time for the true the 3th time she put a little bit off hot souse in her finger then puts it on hes mouth but only when she is really sure that he lied...i know it sounds cruel but if time out doesnt work u gotta keep up with him...he is 4 now n i have a 2 year old 2..he only try to lie to me 1 time after i did this he didnt do it aging i hope ur lil 1 stop lying caz thats a really bad habit
    yuridia

Answer by yuridia at 7:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• none.

if you put so much emphasis on it he will keep doing it. When he lies, tell him you do not like it because it hurts you and move on...

if he knows right from wrong he will stop doing it.

I think his lying is attention seeking - maybe something is upsetting him. have you asked him why he lies?
    Anonymous

• When I ask him why he lies he either won't give me an answer or says "because, because".... when i ask him who taught him to lie like that he says "My mommy Jossemy" (his Bio Mom)....
    MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 7:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• OMGOSH! PLEASE DON'T DO THE HOTSAUCE THING! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU, JUST PLEASE DON'T DO THE HOT SAUCE THING.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Whip him with a board that has nals in it!! Then make him stand on his head in the corner for 10 minutes!1 After that make him recite the Gettysburg Address!! Then make him take a drop of Dawn dishsoap on his tongue! Then Make him step on a hunk of dogpoop and keep it on his shoe for a few hours! I did all these things and my kid never lied to me again!!
    Anonymous

• First whip him with a board that has nails in it!! If he still lies, make him take a few drops of Dawn dish soap on his tongue and keep them there for a hour or so. If he tells another lie, make him do a headstand in the corner for about twenty minutes. Then if he tells another whopper, then make him walk in dog poop and keep it on his shoe for a half day or so while he sits in timeout. I used all these to cure my kid and step kid. They were so scared to lie that they would start out--Kyle did it---wait, I mean no I'll tell the truth!! I DID IT>: l Yeah it woks.
    Anonymous

I hope you get charged for child abuse!!!!!!!!!!
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• im having this same sort of problem...hes saying some really bad things about the teachers at his daycare, and saying bad stuff about me to them...its just absolutley not true, and i dont know how to deal or correct it.... if you come across anything that works...lemme know, please!
    solithial_ra

Answer by solithial_ra at 12:38 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Honestly, you could have him take a time out and tell him when he's ready to tell the truth he can come out of time out. Keep doing it and the lies will stop.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 12:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2008