My hubby speaks a little spanish, i speak a little german..

My hubby has been teaching our 2 year a little bit of spanish, and I have been teaching him a little german...but now he is speaking it to other people, but combined, and nobody else but my hubby and I can understand him...

Should we just speak english to him?

BradensMom1026

Asked by BradensMom1026 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe wait a year or two until he has learned to speak English properly. That way he knows what to say and when he's talking to you or your hubby he can speak whatever he feels like. My cousin is married to an Estonian and she taught her son to speak it, he got really confused and didn't really talk for awhile, couple months I think, until he focused on one then went to the other. My other cousin is married to a Mexican and she taught their daughter Spanish and she would be asked questions in English but only answer in Spanish. I think its confusing for little ones sometimes. Good luck!
    Brandi2206

Answer by Brandi2206 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Nope keep doing what you are doing and he will eventually separate the words and will be blessed with 3 languages because of it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• that is why we started doing it, but if he stays with his grandparents for an afternoon, they have NO idea what he is trying to say, and have to call me every 30 seconds.

I know if you start teaching multiple languages when they are young, it will be so much easier to learn more of that language when they are older, but he speaking 3 different languages all at once, and trying to make it one language
    BradensMom1026

Comment by BradensMom1026 (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i agree with learning one language fully. my goddaighter when she was around 3 she would have a hard time speaking because she was taught spanish and english very young. so what her mother did was concentrate on english and then later on bring in the other languages and practice with her every night. my little one says a coulple of words in spanish already and she is 17months. i had to tell the daycare provider what they meant. it was pretty funny. but my little one understands both right now. but she hears more english but has spanish at home. i had that. i undrstand both spanish and english. it will work out.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2010