walking shoes..?

i've picked up my daily routine of walking, now that the weather's not so nasty...and i think i need a new pair of shoes. any suggestions? i tend to 'speed-walk', KWIM?

i don't want those crazy new-fangled walking/workout shoes, just a good, supportive shoe.

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 10:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• The best pair of walking shoes I've ever had are Brooks. I had never even heard of them until I went to a run and walk shop last year. Those people spent about 45 minutes fitting me, and these were the ones that felt the best then and they still do now. I'm in need of a new pair, but the place where I got them is 2 1/2 hours away and I haven't had a chance to get back there. Also, they are a whole size bigger than anything I have ever worn before. I have a lot of foot problems and my shoes are very important to me, and I absolutely love this pair of shoes.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:17 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Really everyones feet and the way they walk are different. I try on several different shoes, and walk around in them, and pick the one that seems to have the best support for me. My friend also told me about a really cool thing. She was needing new running shoes and went to a store that had her get on a treadmill and they video taped her feet lol. It analyzed the way she runs and they were able to recommend a shoe for her! I haven't found anything like that around here, but you might check around :)
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 10:09 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• that's a great idea, and i've done that in the past for running, and cycling(posture, height, size of bike, etc)..i do try on several pairs..sometimes what feels good on a flat, carpeted floor doesn't end up feeling good 1mi into your walk on uneven paved road. LOL! UGH!!
    was just wondering which brand/style anyone else preferred. i usually go with a Reebok, and change them out every 6months/walking.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• thanks, nanny...i've never heard of brooks..i'll research, and see what Little Rock has to offer. (closest town with best possibility of sales/service).
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My all time favorite pair of walking/athletic shoe was adidas....I have a high arch and they were great they are falling apart from being so old not worn on the heal just falling apart but I still wear them for crap like yard work where I step in dog poo LOL had them for 8 years and they still feel good
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010