School

My husband and I are separated he is in CO and I am in GA. We have a 17 months old. I got nothing when we split so I am starting back at the basics. No car no money no nothing beside our child. I am about to start school to get my ultrasound tech. I get to do my core online and my core will take about a year and a half. After my core I enter the program where I will have to actually go to the school. Only thing is the school is an hour away. I don't think that's a horrible commute but my husband thinks I'm being stupid to commit to such a commute. I pretty much have a year and a half to figure out a car situation and everything. My parent's are amazingly supportive but is an hour a big commitment? And am I dumb to start without a car?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• No the sooner you start the sooner you finish. Once you start you may find that someone in your classes online actually lives near you and will be willing to carpool. You never know what can happen in a year and a half .... just start saving money and before you know it you'll have a enough to buy a car!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i think you need to reach your goal to give your daughter a better future adn your family too. even though it is an hour the good thing is not until a year from now so maybe by then youcan get a car or work something out maybe move a little closer or soemthing. and remember like you said your paretns are very supportive so your not alone talk to them and see what they can do maybe they can help you by takeing care of your daughter. i think you should go for it just make sure you keep this in mind during the year so you can kind of figure out how this will be but good luck and best wishes
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No get it done the rest will fall into place!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think an hour is a LONG commute. But if you are willing then that is totally up to you. Keep in mind that traffic could make the commute even longer. Will you have time to get your kiddo to daycare or babysitter and still make it to class in time? Will you be able to get home soon enough to pick your kiddo up from daycare? (if you are going with daycare most close at 6pm and they all have late fees, the daycare I used to work at the late fee for I believe $5 for the first 5 minutes you were late, after that it was $5 per minute) If you are going with family for your childcare then obviously this doesn't apply.

Good luck!
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would say go foward with your new career. You have a year and a half, something will happen between now and then for your transportation. Maybe you can carpool with another classmate. See what happens, something good will come. You are on the right track to getting on with your life.
    Dolotuc

Answer by Dolotuc at 10:19 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• A lot can happen in a year and a half. Who cares what your husband says? He's not living with or paying your bills. You do what you have to do to make a better future for yourself and your child. One hours is a big commute, but a temporary one.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• An hour? No that is not a big commute at all. People do that everyday here where I live.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:26 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I echo what m-avi says ... an hour communte (or more) around here is the norm.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2010