How can I get my 23mo old boy to STAY in bed?

My 23mo old (TODAY! YEAH!) son got his big boy bed about a month ago. He was doing FANTASTIC.... until we moved last week. Now, my son is adapting to a new house, a new bed and has begun the beginning stages of potty training (Started about a week before getting the bed)...

He goes to bed at 7:30-8pm and will only fall asleep if I lay my hand on his chest until he's out. Then he'll be up two other times in the middle of the night and do the same thing... Then he will be up by 5am for the day.

Now, keeping him up later doesn't solve this... and I don't want to lay him down SOONER than 7:30-8... but, I also don't want him to rely on my or my husband's hand on his chest to fall asleep.... what if he needs an over night sitter at some point? Or... what if we just want a full nights rest!? Lol!

Anyway... any ideas? He's 34lbs of big boy to have to lift back in bed over and over and over again at 2am!

GavynsMa

Asked by GavynsMa at 10:09 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep walking him back to the bed each time he gets up. You may have to stand guard (quietly) outside his door, but just walk him back and put him in bed. Eventually he will understand. My son will still do it on occasion (not as bad as in the beginning) and that's what I do with him. It helps to establish a routine (bedtime story, etc). If I waiver from his routine, it's harder to get him to go to sleep.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• That's a lot of change for him to adjust to all at once. But if you ever watch the Super Nanny technique on the whole bedtime routine, it's quite amazing. It takes some patience to work through it, but it works. Look into it & give it a try. Good luck!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thank you ladies!!!! I did this last night from about 1:08am to about 4:18... Lol! It worked... just took FOREVER! So, I wasn't sure if that was they way to go or not... but I did TOTALLY see it on Super Nanny! That's hilarious!!!

I was worried all the changes is causing this... but I didn't want to end up w. a co-sleeping situation... which is what this will turn into if we cant squash it now...

GavynsMa

Comment by GavynsMa (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Anytime children have changes, even growth spurts or reaching milestones such as potty training they have interuptions in sleep patterns...this too shall pass. I do think the super nanny thing works. Try soft music. A picture of you and DH, low lighting etc.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Oh, btw 23 months is very early for a boy to start potty training, though there are exceptions to every rule. My 3 boys were 3 when I started and it took each of them about a weekend to train. Good luck to you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Don't worry about him needing your hand to fall asleep... it's a security thing and quite normal. Other caregivers will find their own way to help him to sleep. And if you want him to sleep in there, you have to keep putting him back to bed. Nightwaking is also quite normal for the age. If you want more sleep, then let him crawl in with you. There's no wrong answer.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• is he cold or hot? my son was sleeping through the night, but started getting up it turns out he was cold so I started putting pants on him and that solved our problem.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2010