Do you think that Lotus births are safe?

There is a new fad where you dont cut the umbilical cord from the child and you just carry the placenta around with ya.. Do you think that is safe and would you do it?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:11 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have heard about delaying the cord clamping and such.. But never this.. I wouldn't think it would safe as leaving the placenta in too long after birth can cause infections.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Safe or not ... that's just gross
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• The only LOTUS I have heard of is Lotus Spread Sheets at work, in my accounting job. And I am glad.
    The idea of leaving the cord and placenta attached is insane. That is all I have to say. Wow....people.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It is safe if you keep it wrapped. Also if you tell people to stay away until it falls off...you get more time alone to bond with baby. LOL It isn't terrible unsafe . Only a teeny tiny risk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thanks Braden

It states that the people of Bali believe we are each accompanied at birth by four invisible brothers – represented by the
    placenta, the umbilical cord, the amniotic fluid, and the yellow, waxy substance that coats an unborn baby’s
    skin. They believe these guardians come into the world with us, and protect us throughout our lives. The child
    is taught from earliest consciousness that she has these four brothers with her in the world wherever she
    goes, and that they will always look after her. The brothers inhabit the four virtues a person needs in order to
    be safe and happy in life: intelligence, strength, friendship, and poetry. The brothers can be called upon in
    any critical situation for rescue and assistance, by knowing who they are, and cultivating a mindful connection
    to them as you live your day. And when you die, your four spirit brothers collect your soul for travel.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• OK I read the link and it sounds just fine.... but the question made it sound like a woman is carrying around a placenta with her ...LOL. I can see it being next to her bed when she is recovering form the birth as it seems the cord dries and falls off within a few days. Wheewwww.....walking around carrying the placenta would be just wieerd.LOL
    SO, thanks for the LINK!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• LOL..No problem. I wanted to do it since it seemed like you weren't quite getting it. It is really not a weird thing...just a little different. I would like to do it. I already want a home birth and delayed cord cutting..this isn't so much more than that anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Safe-- sure, why not!?

:-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well the cord dries up and falls off just like in a birth where the cord is cut. I don't think it is unsafe.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2010