Can u "skip" a grade in home-school like you can in public school? If so, how does it work?

gurka1967

Asked by gurka1967 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I believe you have to test out just like public schooling. Contact your local school district for all the rules and restrictions.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It's very rare to skip a grade in public school now days... they really don't like to to that so much anymore from what I have heard. Maybe you could just "test" your child out of somethings, and move faster thru the stuff they can master easily. I always thought Homeschooling could be done at your/your child's own pace - so there's really no need to "skip" stuff???

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:19 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• In some states you can do that without declaring it. I wonder if you should though, because you aren't even using the word "you", which begs the question, what are "you" teaching "your" kid about spelling?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't know if you can "skip" a grade, but you can definitely do the work at a faster pace in home school. My cousin finished home schooling a year early because she was keeping up in school work with her older sister (by one year).
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• As others have said, testing will prove whether or not your child has actually accomplished the goals for the grade and is ready to move up to the next grade level
    In any case, it is your responsibility to make sure she is learning what is expected of her. I would start by using proper English,spelling and grammar ---set a good example. I would hate to think that she will only know Text language.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Homeschoolers can teach at the level they see necessary. Testing is not required. The age at which a homeschooled child can graduate depends on the state's attendance law.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2010