Family get togethers, don't you just love them!?

The most current problem with family get togethers with my in laws is the fact that the family is growing, therefore there is simply not enough room for everyone to sit at the table at dinner time. Recently we were at a birthday party for my father in law. Everyone was called to the table. My kids sat down first with just a few adults at the table. I served them and told them, "when you are done eating, get up so the adults could sit there" Apparently my Sil had a major problem with that and told me that my kids should go sit outside and let the adults sit there, they have to learn. WHAT!! I thought that was not her place to tell me what to do and very rude. Oh and by the way, her daughter was sitting at the table also, but she was not told to sit some place else. For yrs my kids have always sat at a seperate table at family gatherings, but her kids always sat at the table with the adults.

Jerzymom

Asked by Jerzymom at 10:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Honestly, if I were you, I would have looked at her and said, if you want to do a children's table for the next dinner so that all the adults can sit at the the table that is fine. However, ALL the children need to sit at the children's table then, not just mine.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Who cares what she thinks. It's your house.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You should do it at your house next time that way you can call the shots! Sounds like she is a selfish one sided.. welllll you know what! Your kids should be able to sit with the rest of the family too!
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• So been there. Usually the kids end up at the end or in the kitchen table. Your sil was out of line with you. She needs to be more respectful and realize that her child was also sitting at that table and to worry about her own child and not your children. GL and I know that is only the beginning of what goes on at those family get togethers. Ugh I hate them, thatnk goodness they stopped. Too much drama.....
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Im glad i made you laugh... see i can be a lil evil... i would have my kids seated before everyone else, and just serve them food myself.. that will really make her stop and think WTF??? and make sure you have a camera to take pictures of her face, as she sits there in shock that you got so brave.. I think no matter what age the children are they all should be equal, in my family when we had our brunches.. we all sat where ever but we're a lil on the redneck side ;) we eat in the living room, back yard and the kitchen and kitchen table is set up as a buffet.. Kitcthere is so much variety of food.. There is no send the kids somehwre else to eat we all eat together as a family where ever we choose ;)
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Let your kids sit where ever they want to sit lol. Especially if her child is also sitting with the adults.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:26 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think you either have a "kids table" or just more seating and let everyone sit wherever. Buy a couple of fold up tables if you have too.

We used to have a "kid" table and but all the kids have grown up and are in our 20s and 30s now and we are still at the same table... and some of us now have kids. Now we just call us the "fun table". When we were kids there were A LOT of us around the same age, now there are only 5 kids and they sit together... the older adults sit together and the fun table is all of my young cousins, my sis and our spouses or boy/girl friends.

Your SIL sounds like a jerk.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thanks Syphon. No it was at my father in laws house. Her father. So what is she going to do this if we are at her house next time?
    Jerzymom

Comment by Jerzymom (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• BobbieJo286, you made me laugh. yeah she is a selfish you know what. LOL. well you see her kids are teens now, so they don't want to sit at the "kids tabel" anymore. However my daughter is a teen now also and my boys are the youngest 10. But I still think it was wrong of her to say that, don't you? So what should I do when I am at HER house next time??
    Jerzymom

Comment by Jerzymom (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I agree with Syphon. I wish my family had get togethers :(
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010