God calling you to a certain career

Right now I am a stay at home mom. I plan to go back to work once the little one starts school. I hear people say how God called them into a certain proffesion just interested if that happened to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I certainly believe there are certain things people are "called" to do. Ministry, missionary work, other ventures of that nature, for example, I feel are things God compels people to do. I believe there are things that God has enabled us to excel at, certain talents He's given us, that make a certain profession more suited towards us, but I don't believe He does it for the sake of the profession as much as He does it because its what makes you, you, if you get what I mean...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Look I don't know who these ppl are, but I really think that they only mean that they love what they do. God doesn't really care what carreer you choose ( as long as it doesn't go against your morals or is illegal). If you like what you do, great! If not, ask God to help you find a job you will like.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 10:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No.. I don't think God "calls" anyone to a certain career. We all have our strengths, our talents, or things of interest.. Those are the things that I used to choose my career. God doesn't care what I do to earn money, as long as I'm earning an honest living that's all that matters.

And sometimes... And honest living is in the eye of the beholder.. LOL Ex: .. I don't think most politicians earn an honest living, however that's considered a legitimate/law abiding job...
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 10:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No, I believ that anyone who tells you they hear from God are just using wishful thinking . AND also that is just your subconscious mind giving you subtle hints about what you really would like to do. I would worry about people who say that God tells them anything because it can mean they are mentally lazy and want to give God the credit or blame depending on what happens...or they are just heaing voices and that is a bad sign.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It's called "a metaphor".
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• God called me into the profession of motherhood.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Not to me, but my brother-in-law claimed that god called him to be a minister. He quit a perfectly good job and dragged his wife and young children off to Colorado Springs to the christian college there. They lived in tiny apartments and did without proper insurance for medical care, food, and clothing while he studied. He tried for a good 10 to 15 years to be a minister. And every moment, he hated it and his family suffered for it. He is now a farm hand for a friend of his and he drives semi trucks. He and my sister are separated. His children are addicted to pot (my nephew was beaten severely for his stash just recently) and my neice is pregnant by her live-in boyfriend. She is 18. The boyfriend is 25. Most of the time, it isn't god. It's your own selfish desires. It's your version of what you THINK god wants you to do. And it does a lot of damage.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'm in nursing school and I definitely believe with all my heart that God has called me to do this work. To love people and help them.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I believe he allows us each certain strength that may benefit a certain career. Not necessarily that he calls us to it though.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010