Pink eye.

My 3 year old has pink eye, her left eye is oozing and it's blood shot...pink eye. my doctor is going to be calling in a prescription but what else can you do to treat it? i mean until the script gets here?
i just had my twins and am so scared they'll get it or me. ive been making her wash her hands ALOT and ive disinfected the things she's touched this morning(before i told her not to be rubbing her eye) and also washing the blankets she's used etc..she just started showing symtoms of it last night.

mywonderyears

Asked by mywonderyears at 10:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put some breast milk in it and keep it cleaned...he may not need a prescription.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• AWESOME! i dont know why i didnt think of that! i am making PLENTY of milk!lol thank you!
    mywonderyears

Comment by mywonderyears (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If they didn't need prescriptions for CONTAGIOUS INFECTIONS they wouldn't make them. I would research before I went squiting my kid in the face with my breastmilk and possibly contaminating it worse. Just have the child keep their hands very clean, and don't let them touch the eye or anyone elses hands and such for that matter.
    They can't let you go pick it up at the drugstore?

Good luck.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Put a warm wash cloth on it to help with the pain. I had many growing up as well as my oldest child and that seems to help. Hope the little one feels better soon.
    luvmyjob3

Answer by luvmyjob3 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• The doctor should see your child to make sure it is pink eye and to do a culture since you have iinfants. Pink eye is very catchy and you want to make sure it is pink eye, what bacteria it is and if that is a bacteria that is extra dangerous for infants. Not all eye infections are pink eye. Once you start a med it is too late to do a culture and sensitivity.

You need to keep the 3 yo away from the babies. Breastmilk in the eyes of all of them will help heal and prevent.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Here is a link to webmd about pink eye, and I don't see anything i there about the breastmilk idea. I would be very careful with that.

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/understanding-conjunctivitis-treatment

Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Fresh from the tap breastmilk is sterile and has antibodies among other things...it is perfectly safe to use for pink eye and sore throats and a myriad of conditions. Even breastmilk on the nipples allowed to air dry is better than Lanisoh for them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Human milk is a living fluid that contains white blood cells (WBC). It has many healing properties and is used all over the world for eye infections. It can be used to wash out foreign bodies in the eye and even snake venom. It is sterile. Breastmilk does not contaminate anything. In a pinch it could be used to clean wounds or burns. It is a normal physiologic fluid like saline.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Breastmilk is a fine idea.

You can also put a cold cloth/ice over the eye that is irritates.

Also, if you get the drops keep them in the fridge, they burn less that way.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2010