What can I say to aunt who is having dementia and still wants to hem my son's pants?

She has the early stages of th e disease.. But she said she would hem three pairs of pants.Then she called and said they were not ready and that she would come over that night and I said not to worry. Then she told my mil her sewing machine broke!Now I need them tonight! What should I say when I call without her freaking out....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Be polite and just mention that you need sooner than you thought and would come and pick them up. Keep it simple.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would say:

Thank you so much for offering to help. I know that you didn't get a chance to hem them yet but need to come get them. Maybe next time i need help i can get them to you sooner, i am so lucky to have someone to help me with this, i don't want to miss out on the opportunity again.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Tell her thanks for trying- and take them to someone else who can sew. Dimentia is so hard, but they can still do things, maybe just not on a deadline. ALso, please contact your local dept. on aging to find out what help is available to your aunt as this disease progresses.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Awwww, my grandmother had dementia it was so bad!

I might just lie and tell her they fit him now or something like that...so she can save face.... :(

My grandmother always wanted a purpose...to do the things she was good at when she was well...that is sad...

Maybe you could buy a few pairs of pants and the thrift store and let her hem them....just to be useful and feel good :) If you dont think it would frustrate her too much.

If it would, maybe she could help you in an easier way so that she can be of use.. :)

So sorry :( I know it stinks!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:46 AM on Sep. 1, 2010