Im about to have a new baby, is now not a good time to start trying to potty train my 2 year old?

abrosenblatt

Asked by abrosenblatt at 10:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally, i would wait... the new baby could make your toddler regress & you could have to start ALL over. You'll already be changing one diaper... wait until everyone has adjusted to the new baby, and maybe the toddler will be really ready to PT then.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Honestly? If your 2 year old is ready for potty training go for it. I didn't have much luck with training mine when I was pregnant. It was because a) they weren't ready, and b) they felt like I was being mean because the new baby was coming. This is a time when they need a LOT of comfort so they understand that just because a new baby is coming that doesn't mean they're going to be forgotten.

Congratulations on the new baby, and good luck with your 2 yr old!
    tinandril

Answer by tinandril at 10:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I think you should start when you feel you and your son are ready. and if you feel you two are ready then go for it! good luck i've been at it for over a year, and DD just doesnt want to.
    haileysmommy206

Answer by haileysmommy206 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My first was trained fully day and night by 21months (it took no more then 2 weeks). It was about 2months before my baby was born
    allisonsmommy

Answer by allisonsmommy at 10:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• That would be a big NO unless he really wants to but if he shows no interest in it I would not try. This is going to be a very big change in his life. He is probably already feeling many different emotions about a new baby coming into the family. The last thing you want is to try starting training and having a big set back because he has emotional over load from to many new experiences. Also 33-36 months is really the prime time to potty train. It should go quicker around those ages and easier.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 10:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Hey when I found out I was pregnant with my son while my daughter was 2 I ran into the same problem so at first I tried to potty train her and well that didnt go well at all. so I just let it go until after my son was born and after that she was potty trained in a week. Just make sure she doesnt feel like ur wanting her out of diapers bc the new baby will wear them too.
    TwistedMama27

Answer by TwistedMama27 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Absolutly not. Try to get it done. It will be SOOO much easier on you! If you have the time, at 2 years old they should be more than ready. GOOD LUCK!
    masesmom

Answer by masesmom at 11:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• if ur child isn't ready, don't force it, bringing a new baby home, ur 2yr. old may want the diaper to feel like a baby too. I say just try it out and if it doesn't work out don't force it.
    mgm_5

Answer by mgm_5 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2008