Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If I know someone is abusing drugs and is pregnant...

Is there any way I can get the state involved to do drug tests or something? it is a family member and she is 11 weeks pregnant and does not intend to stop abusing drugs... I am worried for this child

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

Answers (5)
  • It wouldn't hurt to call child protective services and ask them. You don't have to give out her name just yet. They would be able to let you know who to call if they couldn't do anything...

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

  • Drug Abuse when Pregnant - LoveToKnow Recovery
    Feb 1, 2008 ... An individual abusing drugs while pregnant can harm both herself and ... If you are pregnant and have a drinking problem, or if your loved ... -

    Answer by vbruno at 6:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

  • YES! You absolutely should do something for the sake of the unborn baby. Call CPS or DFS or just call the doc's office that she goes to. I had to sign a release for drug testing thruout my pregnancy and I had to sign an agreement that I would not use drugs in my pregnancy. My OB told me that if someone called they would have reason to test me.

    Answer by HeatherTurner at 7:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

  • I'd report them to CPS. I don't know how much they can do in the pregnancy but they will definately follow up and test the baby at birth, if there are drugs in babies system then they will remove custody from the mother. My grandmother has two adopted sons (brothers) because of a situation like this. They boys were born to old family friends.

    Answer by misty1_sd at 1:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

  • The sad truth is nothing. I have been down this road many years ago and it is her body, the state cannot force her until the infant is born addicted or tests positive, sick and sad but true. I would go to the internet and get as many pictures of newborns born addicted and disabled due to drugs and mail or hand to her. It may not be a bad idea to get her a NA pamplet also. Drug addiction is a horrible disease that is not stopped even by pregnacy. I provide care for retarded adults and many have been affected in the womb. I know it is a sick and scarey world we live in when some of the horrors could have been prevented. Good luck, find those pics and pamplets!

    Answer by rosetoes at 2:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.