I'm at a loss: What can I do for severe thumb sucking?

Trust me, I am well aware thumb sucking isn't an easy thing to stop (I am 22 and I still catch myself sucking my thumb during stressful situations).

But my two year old sucks her thumb so hard and so long it turns white, and all wrinkly (like when you're in the water too long). I can already see a difference in her teeth, they are moving a LOT, and I'm actually really worried she is going to damage either her thumb or her mouth long term.

Any realistic suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wish I had good news for you. I too was a thumb sucker, my DH sucked his well into his teens and my 19 yr old DD still does during stressful situations. Her thumb looked like that of an 80 yr old especially in the winter. This is such a comforting thing and almost impossible to break...what can we do, cut off their thumb? I did require braces for my thumb sucking and that is what made me quit in the 4th grade...braces were uncomfortable to my thumb. I just don't believe in putting chemicals or what not on their thumb...seems barbaric to me. I would not worry too much. School age kids usually quit...peer pressure.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Get the dentist to put a rake in her mouth. Other than that...time is all I can tell you.

http://www.haskellbraces.com/web/pdf_files/bluegrass.pdf

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• There are these things that sort of look like plastic casts that cover the certain finger or thumb that needs to be broken from. I had a child in one of my preschool classes that had one to break her from sucking her first finger....

It would not allow her to put it in her mouth at all. Her mother said it worked for her :) I am sorry I do not know what they are called or how you could get one...maybe you could do a google search on the internet or something.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• try getting your hands on an aloe vera plant, aloe vera is extremely bitter to say the least. just cut a piece of the leaf and rub it on the finger; no harm done in my opinion because aloe is actually good for the body . trust me your kid will thank you when they get older-- i would prefer a bitter taste on my tongue than having buck teeth in elementary school.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• She is still young. I was 6 when I stopped. I wanted to stop, it embarrassed me. My teeth were fine. I'd say give it time. There is nothing you can do really. The bad tasting stuff seems mean to me. She won't hurt her thumb.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• There are different products that you can apply to their thumbs I have no tired any but I have heard success from them. I have heard of all kind of crazy things but I think that I am going to try this.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2010