What expenses do you expect your 19 year old teen to cover themselves?

He is in county college part time and works and lives at home with his mother.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• My 19 y/o son lives at home, & is in college. He saved $ from previous jobs throughout high school, so he is able to pay for his cell phone bill, car insurance, gas & upkeep on his car, clothes, & his "Play" money (going out w/ his friends). We as parents -still provide a rent-free home, w/ a fully stocked fridge/pantry, & laundry "services" :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• When I was in community college and living at home I paid my tuition, my insurance, cell phone, gas and any other "fun" stuff I wanted. I also had to help around the house, doing dishes, laundry, mowing the lawn, etc.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• At 19 I expect them to be on their own... IF they are in school, I will pay for that, but they are adults at 19, and I don't believe it's healthy for them to be able to rely on mom & dad for the basics any more.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i don't have one, but i'm close to that age. lol. (24.) i'd say phone, helping with the utilities (not a butt load. he IS going to school) and maybe a meal a week.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My dh and I have discussed how we will handle this as our children age. And we decided that our guideline would be....that as long as they were truly striving and achieving goals and school...then we would help them as much as we can!

WE will not support a lazy child who is riding our coat tails...but if we know they are working towards adulthood we will help with everything. We do expect for them to have a job and help as well!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It really depends on what the mom and son agree on. Does she want him to help with rent, groceries? If my child was living at home and going to college they would be paying for their own gas, car, insurance but wouldnt charge them any rent.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• (oh, and i had my own car with insurance. i bought it, i paid it. )
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• While I was in college (and living at home), I covered all of my expenses except for food, water, lights and rent. Everything else I bought for myself, and I helped to clean the house, washed dishes, did my own laundry, etc.
    Basically, the only thing I was not independant on was the expenses of maintaining a house.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If they are in school, they should be able to pay for their own car/ insurances, any cellphone bills, their own extra spending money. I wouldn't make them pay an arm & a leg in "rent" But I would ask them to help out each month....
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 10:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• When my son was that age he gave me all his paycheck. He got free meals at work and didn't spend any money.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2010