Knowledge

What do you think of this quote...“Intelligent people are always open to new ideas. In fact, they look for them.”

Why are so many Christians against new ideas when their Holy book tells them to be open to them?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I suppose I agree with that quote.. It makes sense. People will never become more intelligent if they don't have open minds.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• That is a whole other episode! I agree, my saying is 'a wise man never stops learning'
    mum-to-a-cutie

Answer by mum-to-a-cutie at 10:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I dont think its just Christians that do this. People in general are scared of anything new or different b/c its....well....new and different...lol

I am a Christian and I am very open minded. I see other people, I see their beliefs...I see their lives, and choices....and then I choose mine....

Why do you have to be "liberal" to be open minded. I am open minded and a conservative christian b/c I believe in those principals...does not mean that I hate others with other ideas. I just dont agree with them...and its NOT out of stupidity either!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Agree with the quote- disagree with your assumption of Christians, even when you put in so many instead of all... most Christians I know are very open minded and seek knowledge. Look at all of the very successful Christians out there-look at the charities they form, look at the new and innovated ideas they come up with for the world- if your view of Christians is only the few narrow ones on CM and the really crazy ones you see on TV then you need to be more open yourself ;)

soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Open mindedness is in the eye of the beholder. Some of us do see the the main stream Christians as following blindly. Never question and never seek answers. There are also many pagans who do the same thing. They follow blindly what others have said and they have faith in what they want to believe is true. Both sets do so out of laziness. It's easier to allow others to think for them.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• mom2tobabes- I don't think you have to be liberal to be openminded. I don't think you have to choose the other paths to be open to them. It is just so often that you see Christians unwilling to hear another perspective and that is all open mindedness is, to me at least.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It's not always wise to be open to everything. I'm not going to be open-minded and try drugs that I've never tried, for example. Just because someone isn't open-minded to certain things doesn't mean they aren't intelligent. Some people are just content where they are.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Once an intelligent person has found the absolute truth, there's no need to continue to search. Absolute truth doesn't change. The Bible doesn't say to continue to be open to ideas, it teaches the absolute truth & how to apply it to your daily life.

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Some people fear change irregardless of their religion.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Really ghost? Because this quote is from the Bible.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2010