Am I really as bad a mom as i feel like i am?

Every night I feel like i am asking too much of my kids. I cry some nights and other nights i just can't sleep cause i don't know if i am doing the right things and raising my kids right.

Rplotner1132

Asked by Rplotner1132 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Then do a better job!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Raising kids is tough. It's easy to be hard on yourself, especially with the media making you feel like a bad mom. you know if you are doing your best. if you say you are then ou are. remember we are different and don't et other people tell you what type of job you're doing. trust your gut! good luck
    mom0914

Answer by mom0914 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• How old are your kids? What are you asking of them? If you really have concerns then maybe it is time to rethink your expectations. Think about the things that are really important and the things that you can learn to let slide a little bit. Try to find time for fun and games, too, so it isn't always just about chores and good behavior. I definitely think it is important to have high expectations of your kids, but also realistic expectations, and then it is really key to set your kids up to succeed. For example, I expect my daughter to act appropriately at dinners out, but I also know better than to take her to a two hour meal at a restaurant that is not kid friendly and at an hour past her normal meal time. She will be hungry, cranky, and she will get bored so how could I expect her to act right? We have to set the expectation and help them meet it. But we all do the best we can so don't be too hard on yourself either.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thank You. I don't feel like this all the time cause my kids are very good kids but i didn't know if it is just my pregnancy horomones getting to me or what
    Rplotner1132

Comment by Rplotner1132 (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It could be that you are asking too much of them. I can't say for sure because I don't know how old they are nor what you are asking of them. The thing is that if you think you are asking too much of them, you can always start asking less. It could also be that you are expecting too little, and that can be just as big a problem. Maybe you should talk to someone who has been where you are and ask for guidance. That's not a sign of weakness--it's a sign that you want to learn how to be a better mom. It could be your mother, your mother-in-law, a neighbor, a friend--just someone who has made it through the stage you're in and has learned a few of life's lessons already.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:11 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It sounds like you're a normal mom who is worrying about her kids! I don't know, but you could give some specifics. Some people think I am asking too much of my 3 year old to make her bed. However, she does it. She doesn't complain. (It is definitely not perfect!!!) She is proud of it. So, just because other 3 year olds don't have to make theirs doesn't mean I am asking too much of mine. She sets the table, too. My 2 year old helps fold wash cloths. Sometimes, 2 or 3 of those wash cloths stay clean because she doesn't wipe her nose on them as she "folds". :) It's great to have high expectations as long as you are patiently and kindly teaching and encouraging along the way, and not scolding for not reaching perfection the first 200 times. Or 2000.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2010