How is this person related to me? adult content

I am not great at figuring out cousin, second cousin, etc. There is a woman I met on Facebook who told me that MY Grandmother, my father's Mom, is her Great-Aunt. What is getting me confused is that her brother is dating my niece? My niece has broken off the relationship because she thinks it is dating within the family. My family is really screwed up, and one side would never talk to the other side, and stuff like this happens. It gets worse, one niece found out that the woman she was buying shoes from in a store, was in fact her step-sister, same Mom. One of my nephew's went to a night club and tried to hit up a woman who turned out to be his cousin, my great-niece! Yowsers. What a family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• You are second cousins.

If your parents were siblings, you would be first cousins. Because there is another generation between you on *both* sides, you are second cousins. Her brother and your niece (provided the niece is from your side and not by marriage) would be second cousins once removed, because her family line has one more generation than the man's she was dating.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think that would be your second cousin!
    Mom2Brock

Answer by Mom2Brock at 11:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yah..Im going to say second cousin.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think you and the lady would be first cousins.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:07 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i'm confused as well. i never get this distant cousin crap either. although i would think it would be second cousin. why not just ask the lady to explain it to you as she seems to know what a great aunt is. i don't even have or know a great aunt. so i couldn't figure this one out.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Im confused too... I just call people my cousin lol.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, it would seem you are second cousins.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• A Great-Aunt is the Sister of your Grandmother/Grandfather. As a Great-Uncle is the Brother of your Grandmother/Grandfather. So that means her mother was the cousin of my father. The problem came in when my niece began dating a man (this woman’s brother) and went to his home for Thanksgiving and saw photos of her Mom, my sister on the walls. She then found out the man she had been dating was really her first cousin, which is illegal in that State.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Second cousin
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2010