what states don't require the mmr shot to enter school?

nikkimia

Asked by nikkimia at 11:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• All but two states allow religious and some also allow philosophical exemptions. I think the states that only allow medical exemptions are west virginia and mississippi.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• did you know the second MMR is given because 1% of the population doesn't develop an immunity to rubella based on the first does... so we vaccinate 100% of people who have immunity to measels and mumps and 99% of people with immunity to rubella...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• All 50... There isn't a single state which REQUIRES vaccinations. They all have ways around it...
    I have all the information on my website - http://sabrinambowen.webs.com/antivaccinemovement.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You are not required to vaccinate. You simply sign a waiver in most states. THERE IS NO LAW STATING THAT YOUR CHILD MUST BE VACCINATED.

One of my children actually contracted German Measles from the vaccine. No more vax for us.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I believe that all states have a waiver system in place for vaccinations. Although I vaccinate and believe in its benefits, I support the waiver system. You can contact your school district for verification, but I THINK our waiver form is a federal form which would mean all states abide. Now, private schools may have their own rules so if you are thinking private school- you will need to contact them individually.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• protecting other kids it's that y they get their shot's they r already protected?
    nikkimia

Comment by nikkimia (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• what state do you live in? here in MI there is a state waiver for any/all immunizations

my ds (5) won't be getting the second MMR shot
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

I agree- since I believe in vaccinations and their effectiveness it allows me the freedom to be OK with someone elses decision not to....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• yes, but at the same time even with vaccines you can still contract the illness...especially if it is a series vaccine....my 3 month old at the time got whooping cough from someone at the dr.s office.....it was the scariest time of our life, and we could have lost him.....he'd had his 1st vaccine thank god, but if he hadn't he wouldn't have survived......it's something to think about.....the side effects are low, but the mortality rate is not something to mess with, the fact that all these diseases are coming back is scary....why not get vaccinated?
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 11:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• All states require it, but all states also have a waiver process if you don't want to give your child the MMR.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010