CM vs. Christianity

I am puzzled- why do some on here need to prove Christianity wrong in order to prove their belief as right? I believe what I believe based on the contents of my faith. I do not need to prove anything is wrong with Muslims, Pagans or any other system to feel like I am following the path that is right for me. It feels like in order for some to follow their path, they need to block the path that someone else has decided. Why are your beliefs tied to disproving mine?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 11:10 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• As far as your original question, I agree. It takes a real insecure person to call others beliefs fake and make believe. A person sounds uneducated when they try to force another person to admit they are wrong when they can not disprove an entity. I have even seen this from a mom, something like, "Repeat after me, Jesus is not real." HOW ARROGANT!

2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Christians have a long history of discrediting other's beliefs in order to convert them to Chrisitanity.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I've never noticed that to be honest. I have encountered (personally) more Christians who believe that they have to prove everyone else is worng.. But that's just my experience. I can't speak for other's experience in regards to this topic.

Most all of the worlds' other religions teach that any and all are"right".. that there is no one single true/right religion, no single one and only path to God. And my experiences with people in many religions has been to this effect. The only people that I have ever encountered that believe their way is the one and only way is Christians. Again, speaking of my experience only and no one else's.

I personally have been told many times by Christians here on CM that my beliefs are "wrong". However I have never stated anything close to that in return.

I think your question is really an "In the eye of the beholder" type question. Each of us will have difference experiences.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:15 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No one's beliefs are tied to disproving yours. My question is WHY is questioning your faith bad? I love questions about my faith, I find the answers fascinating and love how they make me think. Why is it that when someone has a question about someone's beliefs or faith they have to be trying to disprove something - maybe they are just trying to understand your thinking or maybe they are trying to make you think...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I was also speaking about the RD section for the most part.... :-)

The only people I have ever had be negative towards me in regards to my beliefs are Christians. No one else.

I was not raised in a religion that believes in actively converting or proselytizing. Both which Christians do believe in doing. So in my experience, yeah, the only people that have ever tried to disprove my beliefs in order to prove theirs, have been Christians. Has that been every single Christian I have ever encountered here. Absolutely NOT.. However, it has been the majority so far.

Backlash from Beck/Tea Party... Try living through the backlash of 9/11.. Not trying to deminish what you are feeling. But adding another perspective. Really think about the backlash people of different faiths other than Christianity have been experiencing in this country for nearly a decade now. Again.. Just a different perspective, that's all. :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Maybe you misunderstand the motive of the questions. Maybe no one is trying to prove Christianity as being wrong, but rather introduce a different perception or understanding. Most members on this site are Christians and have very negative attitudes and opinions of non-believers. We are accused of so many things far from the truth, yet enlightened by the jester of scripture. But what most fail to realize is that once upon a time, someone shared their perception and understanding of the bible and Christianity and persuaded them to be followers. Its really a double standard that comes from the religion itself, b/c it encourages followers to be narrow minded about other religions and spiritual beliefs.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Those who do not have full faith in their beliefs.. In their path..Those that are not secure enough in their path to be okay with those who have chosen different paths.. Those are usually the ones that have to diminish anothers beliefs in order to reinforce their own.

Someone who is totally secure, totally believes and has full faith in their chosen path. Does not feel threatened by other's beliefs. They do not feel or fear that another's different beliefs will be a detriment or diminish their beliefs.. Those who fear another's beliefs, feel the need to diminish in order to reinforce.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• "Christians have a long history of discrediting other's beliefs in order to convert them to Chrisitanity.

This is the type of comment is what I am talking about- REALLY- a long history of discrediting others and here I thought they had a long history of charity work and doing good works.... "

Yes, if we forget about the forced conversions, the burning of heretical texts (and heretics), the destruction of temples/holy sites of other faiths, etc, etc....

;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• to validate their own conclusions. its human nature to be given an 'atta-boy!'. i don't think its all insecurity..i think its more conceit, a show of strength over someone else. 'might vs. right'...i just walk away when met with that attitude-its not worth my time. (and idk whether its more one-sided or not...to argue that, would be proving the point i just made.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would never try to dissuade someone from believing what they do. I don't get it either,
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2010