Only one God, or not?

Most Christians say there is only ONE GOD, but if that were true wouldnt the bible be contradicting itself?

And then for those Christians that admit to the existance of other Gods/Goddesses, what makes them any less powerful or less important? After all, when Moses was in Egypt trying to free the ppl the Egyptians had there own "magick" against God's "miricals". I know the bible says that their God(s) were weaker, but isnt that the point? I mean the bible is only for one side anyway - Christianity.

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 11:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's all about personal percpetion. I don't believe in any gods....but I can see how different people believe in different gods. It seems more logical to me that there would be many gods...not ONE "true" god. Especially when that one "true" god requires unwavering faith and threatens to punish his followers for being human beings.
    AND if the bible talks about other gods, isn't it then acknowledging the truth that there IS in fact other gods?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• OP - Can you explain how the Bible contradicts itself on this?
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My personal belief is this.

Ek Onkar... Bhrama Ek e Hai... God is one.. There is one Universal Creator..

All who believe in God. No matter what name(s) they choose to use.. No matter what the name of their holy book(s) is.. No matter what the name of their place of worship is..etc..etc.. All who have a true and devout belief in God believe in the One God. The one Universal Creator.

Throughout the history of man. God has been known by different names. God has been worshipped differently in different cultures..etc.. But throughout time.. All have believed in and worshipped the One God. The One Universal Creator. Never beginning, Never ending.. Never dying.. etc.. The One Creator is all and all is one..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well, I'm pretty sure you know I don't believe in One God. But yes, the bible does talk about numerous Gods. Which is one of the reasons I have never understood the idea of monotheism, when the vast majority of Monotheist religions DO teach about other Gods... How can you believe in only ONE God when your own God tells you there are others. To me, a God that says "I'm the TRUE God, but there are others" is like having one child expect all your love because they are the "TRUE" child even though there are others... In my mind, it's greed and jealousy, and shows no qualities I'm looking for in a God...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Personally, I believe that there is only one God, but I'm not positive.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I believe in one God who created the universe, this is based on faith. Do I have all the answers to the universe and how it is run, no I don't. I don't try to convince people that I'm right, I just follow what I believe to be true.  I believe that there is a oneness in the universe that is God.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Scripture says that there is only one infinite being - God himself. The other "gods" that are referenced in scripture are either a) idols or b) Satan incognito (Satan has some power - that accounts for the "magic" that Pharoah's priests performed). These other "gods" are not considered true in the sense that they are infinite. They are not. There is only one Infinite Creator, and that is God himself - Jehovah. The other "gods" are finite creatures ... either created by God (in the case of Satan who was created as an angel and fell out of his own volition) or they are created by humans and worshiped in place of God. This is why God can claim that there is only One True God - Himself.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I believe that all our perceptions/understandings relate to the same Ultimate Being. I believe that the Divine is too great to be completely understood or to fit into one religious understanding. That's the whole point of transcendence, IMO. If He was small enough for us to understand and contain in our doctrine/dogma, He wouldn't be big enough to be worshiped. I truly believe that the One Reality has inspired all the faiths and understandings of the world, that He can be found through any culture/language/tradition, and has inspired people of all kinds based on their ability to understand, given their history/culture/language/custom/etc/etc. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• no god
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Christians THINK they believe in one God, when in reality they believe in three Gods in one- not the same thing.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010