any new moms debating going back to work?

nbatta

Asked by nbatta at 11:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went back when DS was 11 weeks
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Nope! While I'd love to have a few hours of childless time everyday... we don't need me to work, so I can't put my wants/needs above my children's in good conscience.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• In some ways I do want to go back to work just part time but it wouldnt be worth the cost of childcare and I really dont want him in childcare, atleast for now.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i am interested in part-time work in some part to have some adult stimulation and time while also getting my daughter used to the care of someone else. it makes me feel guilty, but i know she will be attending school and not so dependent on me anymore in the near future so i also want to enjoy this time with her. not sure how i would deal the transition back into the workforce :0
    nbatta

Comment by nbatta (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I see your daughter is 6 months? There's no actual *need* to get her used to someone else caring for her. The first 2-3 years are the most difficult when it comes to leaving them... for them because they go through so many phases that produce anxiety in them when they are separated from their main caregiver, and for you because they can't communicate yet, so short of nanny and daycare cams, you really have no idea what's going on while you're gone.

If you have the option, I would personally suggest waiting until she's 2 or 3, at the earliest, and would benefit more from a social environment. If you need adult social interaction... join a moms group. Great way to make friends for you and your daughter without ever having to leave her. These years really do pass so quickly, so enjoy the time while you can!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Wasn't a matter of debate here. I needed to go back to work though I wanted to stay home at the time. (Eventually I DID stay home... and discovered the grass was rather brown on that side!)

Part time is easier than full time. Do you have someone to take care of her for a couple of hours? Perhaps DAD when he's home, while you slip out for a haircut or trip to the coffee shop, etc?

Here's the thing. BABIES always do better than the moms do.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i kinda of want to go back to work..but i dont have any one to watch my daughter...
    Jandr082908

Answer by Jandr082908 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i have an opportunity to go part time and am considering the nanny route, but already concerned about the separation and how it may impact my work performance.
    nbatta

Comment by nbatta (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010