Can I still have a healthy baby without endangering myself if the father is related to me?

I know this is a gross question but I need to know.

JeniBowden

Asked by JeniBowden at 8:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I think that would depend on how closely related you are. If it's your cousin, I really wouldn't worry about it, but just tell your doc in case. People in this country, and in Europe married into their own families for generations. Yes, there could be problems, but usually not right away. My maternal grandparents are third, or fourth cousins. We aren't effed up. I read a book about ancient Egypt a few years ago, the author basically argued that the inbreeding that took place in the very early dynasties did a lot of good short term. They passed along the dominant genes that were actually good. However if the inbreeding continues for years upon years it will do some damage to the potential children. The "bad genes" come out then.

If it's your brother, father, or uncle, you may want to get checked out. Or make an appointment with a geneticist, to find out the actual risk.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 1:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• yes
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 8:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• it would depend on how closely related....
    Anonymous

• Yes you can, my cousin was a child of a 1st cousin to 1st cousin rape back in the 1930s. and he lived a long healthy life.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Yeah, like the above said...it depends on how closely he's related to you.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• GOOD LUCK WITH THAT, I GUESS
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• yes...
    sunshine21pa

Answer by sunshine21pa at 8:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• are you guys together? how are you related??
    Anonymous

• yes, depending on how many ways this person is related to you. Studies show that as long as it is only a first generational thing (the first time it has happened in a family line) the chance of recessive birth defects is pretty much the same as a non-related couple, no matter how closely related the parents may be.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 8:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Uh, it depends on how closely related you are. It is an abomination to have sex with a father, brother, cousin, uncle, nephew or grandparent. So I guess as long it is not one of those you might be okay.
    muddysuzi

Answer by muddysuzi at 8:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2008