what are the benifits of single mom

like why the women in Americaprefers to be a single mom

anney650

Asked by anney650 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't know if women in America PREFER to be single moms.. some of them it just happens to..
    But I have been both single and in a relationship & there are pros and cons to both..

To answer your question, the benefits of being a single mom:
    *Dont have to worry about cheating, abuse..
    *Dont have anyone to answer to when you want to do things
    *Dont have to consider your partners feelings
    *Raise your children the way you want
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:24 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No one to answer to(but kiddos), I'm not saying all single moms, but when my friends kids are with dad, she gets to go out! With us it's like okay....if one goes the other one can't, half the time there is no point because it's booring.
    Oh yeah, if dad is a jerk and you have the kids you can pretty much raise them the way you want to. Thats what I did like when he just backed off.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't think there is a preference I think it is more of a circumstance thing and there is little time to try and deal with finding a father and having a serious relationship while raising a child or children. Personally, I am married, but a SAHM with 3 boys 7, 5, and 17 months while my hubby is in school. My benefits are the one on one time with my kids and watching them grow and evolve. I'm usually the first to see the newest things that the baby does and yes I would LOVE to share that with my hubby, a little greedy place in my heart is absolutely thrilled that I was the only one to see that first.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 11:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well, I didnt prefer to be a single mom, it happened through divorce. I dont think any of us want to be single moms, its a tough place to be! Are you talking about gals that just want to get pregnant through a sperm bank and raise the baby themselves? Not sure what your asking here...but yeah, nobody gets married and has kids and wants to end up being a single mother...anywhere
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I dont think its a preference. It just happens sometimes.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 11:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'm a single mom of 3- Definitely NOT what I would prefer, what I planned, or what I hoped for. Unfortunately, life does not always work out as planned, and we're left to confront the calamity head on.

Being a single mom is one of the hardest things a woman can do, and something that we are treated badly for as well- regardless of WHY we're in that position.
    I left my abuser so that my children could have a chance at life... I almost lost my life in the process. Would it have been my first choice? No, but I also saw that there was the chance for a batter life, one that was not filled with physical pain.

Why do you assume it is a preference for American women to be single parents? Why is it OUR choice? Does none of the responsibility fall on the man?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I agree with you 100% ObbyDobbie!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• *better... I'm sure someone will point out my typos.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My husband and I separated while I was pregnant. I didn't plan to be a single parent but I did find many advantages. He wasn't involved in my son's life at all. If the other parent is involved I define that as co-parenting. I didn't get involved with any men.

I had my son all the time and made all the decisions. I didn't have to worry about pleasing men. We could have breakfast for dinner and it didn't matter if the toys were picked up. I could set up our day any way I wanted. I didn't have to take care of a man (giant child). When my son was asleep my time was my own. I could set up the house to meet my and my child's needs. We had a dog that was more fun than a man (he liked what we liked on tv, what I cooked, ect). There are no expectations about having someone help and then being disappointed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I personally don't see any benefits to it as a whole. But each case and circumstance is different. This isn't a question that can really be answered
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2010