Isn't "redistribution of wealth" just another name for stealing?

It fits the definition of stealing perfectly.

v. stole (stl), sto·len (stln), steal·ing, steals
v.tr.
1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.
2. To present or use (someone else's words or ideas) as one's own.
3. To get or take secretly or artfully: steal a look at a diary; steal the puck from an opponent.
4. To give or enjoy (a kiss) that is unexpected or unnoticed.
5. To draw attention unexpectedly in (an entertainment), especially by being the outstanding performer: The magician's assistant stole the show with her comic antics.
6. Baseball To advance safely to (another base) during the delivery of a pitch, without the aid of a base hit, walk, passed ball, or wild pitch.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 11:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes!
    I love the quote " A government that steals from Peter to pay Paul will always have the backing of Paul"
    It depends on who you think Peter and Paul are-but to me, I always feel like Peter regardless of who is in office ;(
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• What happens when there aren't enough wage earners to satisfy the governments spending??? Hrmmmmmmm, I wonder.....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes. I think redistribution is stealing b/c it is without my consent. I would like to pick and choose how I donate my money to those in need. I feel that no more than 10% of my paycheck should go to taxes. That should cover the essentials (roads, firefighters, police, public parks, public facility maintenance, armed forces, and just a few other necessities. If 10% from each person living in the U.S. is not enough, then the Govt. will have to do without. There is too much overspending. In my own household, if we do not have it, then we do not spend it. Period. The Govt. should be managed the same way. It is sickening to see how many trillions of dollars are spent. Ridiculous

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• when I see redistribution of wealth the first thought that comes to my mind is communism
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• In my opinion, federal taxes should pay for things that benefit the whole country, such as the military, and part of the transportation system (interstate high-ways and trains and the like). State taxes should then pay for things that benefit the state, such as the schools, the roads, etc. Then local taxes should pay for things that benefit the community (but which are not available to the rest of the state, or the whole country). This would include the police, fire depts, schools, libraries, sidewalks, roads, etc. The things that the whole community uses. But we seem to have it backwards, we pay so much in Fed taxes, that the states & cities have to beg for money from the Fed gov't to do things that they should be able to take care of themselves in the first place.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• THEY'RE CALLED ZERO LIABILITY VOTERS!

They go to the polls and they've got NOTHING to lose and a living to gain, flat of their azzes, doing exactly nothing!!!!

Then there's the people who get the Earned Income Credit.

Which is a check the government sends to people and is money they didn't earn.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It kinda looks that way.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Very nearly. But since it's the government doing it, they therefore claim the "right" in definition 1. And I suppose technically you don't HAVE to pay taxes, but you'll have to suffer the consequences for that. So now they've got your "permission". It's closer to extortion than it is to theft.

extortion (ɪkˈstɔːʃən)

—n
    the act of securing money, favours, etc by intimidation or violence; blackmail

extort (ɪkˈstɔːt)

—vb
    1. to secure (money, favours, etc) by intimidation, violence, or the misuse of influence or authority
    2. to obtain by importunate demands: the children extorted a promise of a trip to the zoo
    3. to overcharge for (something, esp interest on a loan)
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• To take (the property of another) without right or permission.

The LAW gives the government the RIGHT to collect taxes. You give your consent by continuing to live here. If you'd like to revoke your consent you have two choices: go to jail or move to another country.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 12:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• "I have never given my CONSENT for the taxes I pay, nor do I vote for those I know will raise them. I am FORCED to pay them or I go to jail."

You also have the option of leaving the country. Or perhaps staying here and not having a standing military to defend us, transportation systems to move goods, etc.

I suppose we COULD privatize it all, the way fire protection once was. If your house was on fire, you'd need fire insurance. Don't know that you'd save much cash, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2010