School bus issue....

So this year my oldest DS is in 2nd grade, my middle DS is in 1/2 day kindergarten and my baby DS is well home with me. We have a bus stop, and they go to school at different times.

My question is this.....My older doesn't like his little brother clinging to him and doesn't want to sit with him on the bus which i am demanding.

I am demanding because there are other kids on the bus that are little bastards that the bus driver can't control. I'm sorry for using that term, but my older has come home with a huge lump on his head bc a kid on the bus decided she didn't like him and whacked him in the head with something she shouldn't have had in the first place. Point is the bus driver has alot of unruly little brats that will still be on the bus this year and to avoid issues I'm making the boys sit together.

How do I make my older DS understand this? They are 7 and 5.

HTMommy

Asked by HTMommy at 11:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in

• I am torn on this one. I think that the right thing to do is for the older one to look out for his little brother, but I also know as the oldest in my family that it isn't good for sibling relationships to make an older child take on responsiblities for a younger one if it is going to make them resentful. Two suggestions, if you are going to require the older sibling to do this, give him a daily reward for it. Or as an alternative solution, instead of having the younger one sit with his brother, request that he sit behind the bus driver instead.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• First u report the bus driver to the bus company and report the driver to the school. Also report the kid to the school. Get a description of the kid from your son. Maybe even get a name. That is what I did. A child brought a gun on the bus. That is right,a real gun and it was loaded!!!! Long story short,this kid got kicked out of school. He could not ever return!!!! U r the parent u need to take control of the situation and stop it. I went up to the school and talked to the principal!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My 5 year old also started school and is riding the bus. My 9 year old doesn't want to sit with her lil sister either. The kindergarten kids have to sit in the front near the bus driver. Last year there was a bully on the bus, but he has moved on to torture middle school kids, so I haven't heard of any more trouble makers.   I wouldn't know how to  make the older kids understand that they need to be helpful.    At my kids school I reported the trouble maker kids and then they get kicked off of the bus for a while and their parents have to take them to school.

mommyfox03

Answer by mommyfox03 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Message me,we'll talk. I'll tell u the whole story.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I didn't need to report the brat it's our neighbor who's grandmother raises her and her little brother....she handled it and made her apologize and the bus driver reserves the front of the bus for the ones he/she has to keep an eye on....
    HTMommy

Comment by HTMommy (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2010