I never understood this! If our country is in debt so bad.....

Why do we pay celebrities billions, and pay massive amounts into sports, and build a bunch of unneccessary buildings and amusement parks for people to shell more money into and claim it's gonna bring more jobs? I'm not in any way saying rich people should pay at all. I'm just saying, they up tax on everything saying it's gonna help. I'm not politically savvy, so I really don't understand. I'm not really even trying to prove a point. I am just trying to understand it a little.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They get paid that because that is the demand for their sport, people are still willing to pay the prices for movie tickets, and dvd's and people want to pay for the tickets to the games. It has nothing to do with our countries debt. What we should be asking is if we are in so much debt as a country why does our president need his office completley re done, he had it done when he came in, its only been two years? Or why did we spend billions of dollars for the job acts and get almost nothing for it? Or if we dont have the money why are we using it in the first place, and why is it ok for the government to do it, when we ourselves know that we would be in big trouble if we overspent the way they do? I have a lot of concerns about the over spending in our country, but it has nothing at all to do with celeberties, or ball players, they get paid as much as they do because consumors are spending that on what they sell.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I agree that celebrities and athletes are overpaid, but their salary has nothing to do with our nations debt
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I agree...it's ridiculous what men get paid to throw a ball into a little loop. It's absurd.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well, the government doesn't pay celebrities and athletes and such. Fans do. They also don't build amusement parks. Those are just businesses.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• The government has nothing to do with any of that. Those things are all up to consumers and businesses. Our tax dollars go to welfare, government employees, road repair and stuff like that.
    superm0m877

Answer by superm0m877 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• But I guess I was thinking the government seems to tell us everyday people where our money should go to get us out of trouble. I mean the government doesn't pay me either but I pay my ass off as an independent contractor. It makes my head spin really. And I never said athletes were the cause of our nations debt. It just seems like the media screams AMERICA IS BROKE! Then you see tons of money being pured into stuff. That's all.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think it's just a lost situation. Supermommy,I'm pretty sure they raised taxes on certain things to do that stimulus deal, I could be wrong, but I thought I heard it on the news. There wouldn't have been a stimulus if we weren't broke.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i agree with you we are promised so may future jobs with things they are doing an di see the economy getting worse and worse. so then whats the whole point on everything else
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• LovingMama, I didn't think about all the government spending too. Nice!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• "Why do we pay celebrities billions, and pay massive amounts into sports, and build a bunch of unneccessary buildings and amusement parks"

These things have NOTHING to do with the national debt. That's all private money.

Think of it this way. You are in serious debt and can barely keep your Yugo running. Your next door neighbor is filthy rich and just bought his third Mercedes.

Is your debt his problem?

It's all separate.

BETTER to look at the national debt in terms of what the federal government spends. That means public assistance, military spending, health care spending, infrastructure (highways), national parks, the FBI... etc etc etc.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2010