We got a new puppy, what are the best ways to clean up her accidents?

We got a puppy about a week and a half ago, I have been trying very hard to clean up her pee when she goes, but my carpet is starting to smell. What do you use to clean up your dogs accidents so that they dont ruin the carpet?

-LovingMamma-

Asked by -LovingMamma- at 11:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pets

• I would suggest using a cleaner and a shop vac. The problem with just a cleaner is it doesn't get up what is below the surface, so a shop vac and a good soapy mixture works the best. Saturate the area well and extract. If your hubby hunts, spray some of his descent spray or store bought descent sray on the surface after extracting cleaner. Make sure to get as much moisture out of the carpet as possible after cleaning- or it is a waiste of time. There are special formula mixtures that you can use as well. Google and see what others recommend.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Natures Miracle. It will completely eliminate the odor. It is an enzyme based cleaner which actually neutralizes the ammonia.

You can buy it just about anywhere. I use it even though I do not have pets, I have boys! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I bought a carpet shampooer with pet stain remover. Believe me, once it's there a paper towel and carpet cleaner will not get rid of it. The carpet shampooer works great because I go right over the spot and sucks it out. I don't have to do the wntire house with it either.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Take her out more often. Every hour on the hour, after each feeding, and lots of praise when she goes poop/pee outside. Take her to the same spot and out the same door each time. Then she will relate that one door to going out, and then to the same area in the yard.... It should only take a few days to potty train. I didn't use a crate, I just stuck with a routine. As for cleaning we have all hard floors in the main rooms in our home, and never let them go in rooms with carpet until they are completely potty trained. Bedroom doors stay closed. At night they are in our room with the door closed, yes there is carpet in there but they go out just before bed, and are out by 6am in the morning. Being consistent is key to quick and successful potty training.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2010