What does a contraction feel like?

Sometimes I wonder if I'll know what it feels like if I have one. What about braxton hicks contractions?

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I only had a couple BH contractions and they just felt like my stomach got tight all of a sudden and then let go. They never hurt. Real contractions on the other hand, they hurt. They feel like a dull really deep hard pain rolling from under your boobs to your vagina or vice versa. Your stomach gets so tight it feels like it could rip..lol..Im not trying to scare you, im just saying.lol. And with some contractions that deep pain goes into your back. Those suck.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Pretty much like menstral cramps only 10x worse. Braxton hicks were a fluttering at first. Then got a bit worse later.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• mine felt like severe cramps and as labor was active and got closer together it felt like i had a bad case of food poisoning lol and for me it felt like that the whole time so i felt it was bareable the only time they turned into monster contractions was w petocin. which they used to help me dialate but i already had been in labor for 11 hours at a fingertip so youll know my first time it was the middle of the night and they gradually got worse and i knew right away. i only have bh if im really mad or upset and yea it gets tight and releases
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• To me it just felt like really bad menstraul cramps.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• mine only felt like a mild hardening of my stomach. no pain just a hard stomach every few minutes. when i got to 9 cm then it felt like i had to take a huge painful dump. i only felt it in my butt but it was awful. it wasn't for long though. once i started getting the butt contractions she was out a half hour later
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I thought they felt a lot like menstrual or indigestion cramps. I've heard other women describe it as feeling like they had to poop.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• None of the pp answers were my experience. To me I only felt the contractions in my lower back, felt like my lower back muscles were cramping (ya know just like if your foot cramped etc) I had no idea what I was feeling was actually contractions, I had them all night with no clue. I just thought it was the extra 40 lbs I'd been carrying around finally wreaking havoc on my back muscles. In the morning I finally figured out that the "cramps" were happening regularly and I touched my stomach and realized it was getting hard during a "cramp" then my water broke and it was too late. I was 33 wks and 5 days. My twins were born 6 weeks early. I think contractions are different for everyone just be prepared for something that feels different and if it is happening in a pattern, on then off just touch your stomach to see if it is hardening. Good luck!
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• a really bad menstrual cramp that starts in your back and moves to the front of your belly. when i was in labor i felt like i had a huge cramp in my butt. and when i would sqwat i felt a sudden urge to push
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It's a muscle tightening.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Like very bad menstrual cramps. Good question! I had no idea what it would feel like with my first.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010