How much more does the second baby cost?

I would love to have another baby and am wondering how much more does the second child cost? Is it a huge difference? They would be very close in age if that makes a difference :)

BraythansMom

Asked by BraythansMom at 11:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• The more kids you add..the more expensive it gets!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It seemed like it was a million times more money to have my second child than it did with my first. More kids equal a LOT more money
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would have to say if you take proper steps it wont cost that much. You can shop and trift store or get hand me downs for clothes. Breastfeed (if able) to save money on formula. If you can't bf get a sam's membership and buy the jumbo containers of formula, and diapers (these items are huge, and they last longer then buying them from a small store). make your own wipes, and when baby is olde enough you can make your own babyfood. Since adding our daughter we haven't really spent more, I would say everything is like it was when we added our first. Good luck.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• For me it wasn't that big a difference I had two boys and they are 16months apart. I just passed things down. Now that I'm on baby #3 I'm spending the big bucks.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• depends on what you need. I havent spent much more at all with my son, other then doctor bills everything has cost pretty much nothing. I know that will change as he gets older (my son is 1 1/2, my daughter is 3). I brestfeed him, so I dont have to buy formula, I use cloth diapers I used with my daughter, and have gotten hand me down clothes for him (I am so lucky with that, super nice ones too) We dont spend any more on food, I just budget better, and once your making it its not much more for one more serving.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Depends on if you have the same gender and if they are both gonna be in diapers at the same time. If they're both girls/boys then you already have all the clothes and baby gear and stuff right? i prefer to wait until the first one is almost out of diapers but that isn't always easy. it was much more expensive for us to go from 2 to 3 rather then from 1 to 2 :P but that's probably because my 2nd was only 2 when baby brother was born, buying diapers for 2 really sucked!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It can depend on the space between the kids, too. If I was to have a second one now, it would cost almost the same as my first, who is eleven years old. I've got nothing left from his infancy.

Car seats have to be replaced after five years or an accident. That's the real big ticket item.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Wow really? for us it was less. We already had just about everything we needed. Right now the only one I have to buy clothes for is 15 yo. the other boys have boxes upon boxes of clothes. As far as toys goes they share everything or make them.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It really wasn't a big deal to me. I already had a playpen, walker, high chair, etc. I still had bottles and blankets. the only things I had to buy was a car seat and crib. I received a ton of clothes from family, so i didnt have to buy much, plus i had some neutral clothes from my daughter that i got to use for my son. They share a lot of the same toys. I really truly dont think it has cost that much. But i think when they get to be in high school, that's when it's gonna hit my wallet hard. lol
    superm0m877

Answer by superm0m877 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Kids don't necessarily have to cost a lot of money. The biggest expense is generally diapers which you can minimze by using reusable cloth diapers. Clothes can be cheap if you saved clothes from your previous child and/or buy used from garage sales or trift stores. If you still have the baby crib and other baby toys and such there is no additional expense really for baby stuff. Babies who breastfeed are a lot cheeper than formula babies (and it's healthier). Kids don't really add that much cost to a family until about 2 years but it depends on whether you are making money consious choiuces or not. For example mashing up your own baby food from what your already eating as opposed to buying baby food in a jar is a lot cheeper. Cloth diapers are cheeper than disposable. Used/Hand-Me-Down clothes are cheeper than new. And babies and children really don't NEED tons of toys or books. You can a few used toys and go library.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 11:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2010