SAHM question...

I ran into an old co-worker/friend this morning. she hadn't seen my son or even knew i had another baby (my son is already 17months old) and she had changed alot too, lost weight, looked great! It just made me sad to realize how "out of the loop" i've been since i quit school/work to stay home with the kids :( What do you do/say in these kinds of situations when people ask what you've been 'up to'? this happened to me once before also a few weeks ago, i said i was "doing nothing" but staying home with the kids and the guy i was talking to said "wow must be nice" >:( yeah cause our jobs are SOOO easy... but anyways, what are some of your responses SAHMs?

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 11:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When someone asks what I've been doing, I tell them that I've been focusing on being a wife and mommy, and I say it proudly. When they respond, "oh, it must be nice", I say, "Well, it's hard work, but I absolutely love it". I tell the truth! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Don't make it sound so dull. When you are asked what you have been up to lately, tell them that you had this beautiful child and you are staying home and raising your child and enjoying life and having a blast. lol If you are enthusiastic about it,they will react better!
    superm0m877

Answer by superm0m877 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Here's a bump! I know what it's like to be a SAHM! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

• I'm not a SAHM... but "raising my children" is a PERFECT answer. And anyone who cannot accept that is a fool; pay no mind to 'em.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I smile & answer with a " I get to be with my child, " & when they tell me that it must be nice I grin and say "O yes it is, maybe you should try it & let me know how to goes."
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 11:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I always respond that I am staying at home, taking care of my daughter and I couldn't imagine doing anything else right now. I've also had people respond with "doesn't that get boring?" and I respond and say yes, it does get boring sometimes just sitting around the house, but I plan on going back to work when my daughter starts school. If you don't sound happy about it, then people will respond in a not-so-good way.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• lol, love that answer lilmoosesmom! :) I try and be enthusiastic about it but sometimes i DON'T like my 'job' that much and wish i was back in the 'working world' but then i come home and color with my son or see how much my kids are learning and growing and i change my mind again ;-) just wish the "must be nice" people could see me at home and having fun/working hard! lol
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It depends on how they ask me..LOL If it is a condescending way, I say, "I have the luxury of staying home to watch my children grow and care for them.". If it is just friendly, I say, " Oh, I am a stay at home mom. I am raising kids."
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I tell them about all the things that my DD & I do. For example, if someone were to ask me this question today, I would have said something like " well, I have been teaching my DD to spell new words, she is doing really well! We also go to the beach & pool a lot since the weather has been beautiful." stuff like that.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• When my girlfriends ask what I do all day, I tell them... I do all the paper work for my Hubby's business, faxing, scanning, emailing, keeping track of his settlements, etc. Aside from that I take care of 3 boys, get them off to school, pay bills, run errands, grocery shopping, and take care of 3 large dogs. Then the house, yard, pool, flower gardens. Wash windows, take care of the house, laundry, cut grass.... They look at me like I have lost my mind,lol.... I have to do all of it, my Hubby's gone a month at a time with his job. If I waited for him to do any of it I would be in a world of hurt, and mess... When he's home he takes care of our 2 vehicles, and his big truck, that alone keeps him very busy. So being a SAHM, doesn't mean you only stay home, there's so much more to it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2010