Toy guns

We don't allow them in our house and I throw or give away any that we have. We do have nerf guns and water guns, but they play with them differently for some reason, i don't get it, but guns where they try and "shoot" eachother we don't buy or allow. What are your stand points and why?

HTMommy

Asked by HTMommy at 11:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• nope, no toy guns in my house either, nor is he allowed to "shoot" at people with anything he happens to make into a gun
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son has a few toy guns, and I dont really mind them. Before he even got them he would make guns out of anything anyhow, like sticks he would call it a stick gun and etc. I understand why some people dont want their kids playing with toy guns, but personally for me I dont think its a big deal.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 12:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I guess I don't see the difference between a nerf gun and a reg toy gun. My kids see them and still shoot them at eachother. Nerf Guns and super soakers look a lot like regular heavy duty guns to me, just with water or foam instead....hell, my boys pick up a stick off the ground and turn it into a gun. *sigh*
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have allowed the supersoakers to cool off in the summer heat. However, I've never purchased any other because as you say it sends off the wrong message.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It's an uphill battle- I swear it's engrained in kids at birth or something- but even w/ the absence of toy guns, they will play like they have them by using their fingers, legos, etc. It doesn't mean he/she will grow up to be a criminal. It's just part of being a kid.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I carry a non violent no hate philosophy and have tried with much failure to keep the warring out of the house.....It used to be I could say we are not at war, warring skills are not what people should be working on..but then we are at war, and another....warring skills might save my kids life one day...they seem to have an internal need to "battle"....so I'm re thinking some stuff.

If my kid was going off to war, I might even start him with those horrible warring video games just to get his brain ready and able~to kill? Freaks the Hell out of me actually...we are still so underdeveloped as a human species....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Our boys have them. They know not to point them at each other, or their friends. They each have antique looking rifles that they keep up in their room, they are toys. They also have cap guns, they love the noise. Our oldest (14yrs) has a 17 HMR hunting rifle, and has his hunting permit, which he took classes for. We also have a Mossberg 500 Persuader 12 gauge shotgun. I think it's important for them to learn to respect real ones. As for the toy guns, I feel if you keep them from having them it's going to make them much more curious about them... I want them to know the difference, and if they ever were to come across a real one at a friends house etc, they know not to touch, and if someone else does, what to do..... Sorry, I think it's niave to think if you keep them from them that they won't want anything to do with them...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Wow, that's some deep thinkin surfcity! Seriously. I was interested in this post so I peeked back at it! Glad to see I'm not alone with the boys and everything is a gun theory!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Same thing. When my son was little. I did not allow it. Now I have a girl and so she has no interest in playing with them.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I do not allow guns. I think making it OK as a toy desensatizes them to it when older. Then all guns are like toys. Same with shoot-em-up games which desensatize to the violence. I want my children to know that guns are not toys. On the few ocassions they have played with them (usually friends or cousins houses) I tell them there is absolutely no shooting at people, they can only shoot at plants or animals or innanimate objects. My older son has one gun that he got from a special trip and that's the only reason I let him keep it but he knows what I allow him to shoot at and usually does that when playing. I want them to know without a doubt that shooting a person is not a game and that it is both serious and dangerous. If they ever shoot something I told them it should be because they need to eat it.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 12:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010