My son eats formula, babyfood and cereal and still eats every 3 hours also throughout the night. Any suggestions?

He is eating between 1 and 2 jars at each meal sitting. He is drinking 8 ounces at each meal sitting and then one in between. We've tried adding cereal and he still eats another bottle in 3 hours.

mrsthigpen

Asked by mrsthigpen at 4:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he? Sounds like he's old enough to be left alone in his bed. He will be fine. Make sure to check on him every so often to be sure he's not wet, poopy, sick, or has a blanket on his face...tell him you love him, and walk away. They don't need those mid-night feedings as they get older. He sounds like he's getting plenty of food throughout the day.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Chances are he isn't waking to eat, but to get the comfort that you offer him while he takes a bottle. I would recommend watering down the formula over several nights until he is no longer getting formula at all. His body is used to eating at that time and needs to be weaned from night feedings.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I had the same problem with my son and the doctor told me that by his age if he is able to have formula baby food and cereal he will be ok through the night. So even though it is so tough to listen to your baby cry it is what is best for them. Like Reneek3 said make sure you check on them to make sure they are ok but thats it. It might take a little while for them to get use to the fact that you wont pick them up and feed them at night but babies are smart they will learn. One thing that did help my son sleep through the night (which you may already do) is I feed him a jar of baby fruit mixed with oatmeal and then feed him his bottle it seems to fill him up more and help him get through the night. I hope this helps and good luck
    ss88

Answer by ss88 at 1:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• It definitely depends on his age. At about 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months they go threw growth spurts and need more food. My pediatrician told me that my 6 month old does not need to eat at night. Unfortunately I would feed him till he falls asleep when putting him to bed at night and he would wake up and couldn't get back to sleep with out the bottle. What I started doing is reducing each night the amount I fed him by an oz. Then when he was done with the bottle I would just pop in the pacifier. Once the time came there was no bottle I would pick him up and put in the pacifier and eventually got to where I no longer even have to pick him up. I just stick it in his mouth and go back to bed.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 1:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2008