Do you allow your son to play with baby dolls (girl toys)..Or your daughter to play with cars (boy toys)? Why or why not?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 12:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• The kids play with their toys of choice (and for my youngest- that usually means playing dress up with my clothes LOL)

I refuse to enforce gender roles.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't 'allow' either. All the toys are in one place. She plays trucks and cars with him, he plays babies and Barbies with her. Making a big deal out of it is what MAKES it a big deal. How are boys to learn to nurture id not taught?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, I let her play with whatever gender toys she wants. The toys will not turn her gay or lesbian.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, toys are toys. i think boys that play with dolls grow up to be good fathers.
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 12:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My daughter played with race cars around a track they put together and with blocks to create all sorts of interesting buildings and so forth. However, my son really had no interest in dolls at all. She did however, like playing with the life size dolls in dressing them and groomin their hair.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My kids played with whatever entertained them there were no set rules of who could play with what. Playing is to keep themselves busy and role play it shouldn't be restricted.

Answer by older at 12:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Of course..I let my daughter play with any TOY she wants to. If I had a son, the same would apply. They will have to deal with some form of sexism during their lives, but it's not going to start in my home...that's for sure.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have always let my son play with whatever entertains him, always have.
    Lol, and a little secret a lot of parents never figure out, the boys who were "not allowed" to play with "girl things" at home, would almost fight to get to stay in the "home center" when I taught daycare, and the same could be said of the "car center" for the little girls who did not have them at home, lol. I always found that really amusing!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son doesn't have any baby dolls but if he were to play with one I wouldn't mind. I think it's cute when he "babies" his stuffed animals and it's teaching him to be loving and nurturing instead of just all boy rough play. He does however have a play purse, and sometimes when I say "okay, we are leaving now" he picks up his little purse and heads for the door lol. But I know that's because he sees me doing it and I'm not about to question my 2 year old's sexuality. I think it's perfectly fine.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I believe in non-sexist childrearing. Studies show that people that have androgynous traits are the most well adjusted and happiest. Bem is the most famous researcher in the area if someone wants to read more.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010