I have a year rat terrier that is afraid of going outside. What can I do about it?

SouthernMom447

Asked by SouthernMom447 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Pets

• i would try maybe going outside with it and giving it the idea that its okay and safe, and gradually sitting it down until it feels comfortable. try it...
    rockingrobin

Answer by rockingrobin at 9:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Cuddle it in your arms and walk around close to the house. If you feel it's going to loose control go back in the house. Also get a favorite treat or toy that makes it excited and happy and take it outside with you, it may help to distract the little guy and help get used to being outside. Make sure there's not going to be anything to scare him. Loud noises and stuff. Before long you'll be having to make sure the front door is shut all the way!!! lol
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Do you know why she /he is afraid of going outside? Has he/she been this way always? Did u get her as a pup or when he/she was older? Do you walk her everyday? There are so many variables with this question. I only ask as the question is hard to answer without knowing the circumstance before hand.Eamil and let me know ok? Thanks

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Don't make her go outside. I have two dogs that don't go outside. Well occasionally I will take them out, but they don't potty outside.
    CowboyCadesMom

Answer by CowboyCadesMom at 11:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• DONT cuddle it.
    Put it on a leash, KEEP YOU ENERGY CALM/ASSERTIVE , and wait till the dog is calm/submissive then you go out side first, while keeping your energy C/A. If you have it in your mind that the dog is going to freak out then that's what it will do. They pick up on EVERY kind of energy. Watch Ceaser Milan. He's a freakin genius. You're the ALPHA, not the dog!
    3Smiths

Answer by 3Smiths at 8:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Wow I guess my training as a dog trainer means nothing then? Lol. Ok then.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:42 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Another thing you can do is give the dog a treat every time you come in the house, well at least in the beginning. I have a rescue Schipperke, who loved to be outside, but her last owner's house got flea infested and left her behind . . . in the yard. I know, how awful, right? Well, now she's a pain in the butt with outside, I have a beautiful fenced in yard and she never wants to leave the deck. I actually have to kinda force her in the yard to go potty, I think she's afraid I'm going to go in and leave her behind. I also have another little dog, so it's not like she's alone. Well, I started giving them a treat ( a little bony) when they come in and now she runs freely outside, sometimes I still have to persuade her into the yard, but if she really HAS to go, she'll go on her own. Good Luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:02 AM on Oct. 15, 2008